2004 Spring Tech Tour

CentronMe

2[H]4U
2004 Spring Tech Tour

This is a little late, but hay its better than nothing. A few of the events have already passed us up, so for those of you in the south east just finding out about this, sorry. Below is a quick list of locations and the agenda. Click on the above link for more details. I will not bother listing Boston since it is going on as I type this.

Piscataway, NJ - June 3
Toronto, ON - June 7
Chicago IL - June 10
Vancouver, BC - June 15
Sunnyvale, CA - June 17
City of Industry, CA - June 22
Denver, CO - June 24
Dallas, TX - June 28
Huston, TX - July 1

4:00 pm Registration Begins
4:30 pm AMD/Partner Technology Showcase
5:15 pm - 6:30 pm AMD Technology and Partner presentations w/ Q&A
6:45 pm - 7:45 pm Technology Showcase and AMD/Partner presentations
7:30 pm - 9:15 pm AMD Server Marketing Advantage and Partner presentations

I will be attending the Chicago IL event. Anyone else going? :cool:

Mods I don't know if this is the correct place to put this or not. Changing the title of the forum from Strictly AMD to AMD Processors to me limits the conversation to AMD Processors only, but at the moment I don't know where else to put it. With the short time frame of this event it seems best to put it here, but if you feel it should be moved, please do so.

I'll be at the Toronto event.

For anyone who is wondering, the tech tour is a free touring event that AMD puts on yearly. They give a nice free meal and you get to learn all about AMD products. Also, other companies are there and are showing off current and sometimes future technologies.

It's a good time, and really interesting.

Post here if you plan on going, and make sure you say what city. Anyone going in Toronto on Monday make sure you post so we can meet up at the event. A few years ago a bunch of [H] guys showed up and we all put the big [H] on our nametags to let everyone know who we were.

I'm Gonna be at the Denver Show... i found it quite interesting on some of the information that they talk about...

Yeah, I might come to the toronto show. But i'm too cool to hang with you :p .
On second thought; the schedule sounds too boring. Don't want to listen for an hour to Mr. Nobody Bortson talking about marketing...

Remember this show is for system integrators and white box dealers... So the marketing will be aimed at that crowd.

The Toronto tech tour was a really interesting event. It was smaller than two years ago, but I got some very good information by talking personally to high-level AMD engineers. I found out a lot about the new Sempron line and I posted that info HERE.
I also learned some things about AMD 90nm process. They weren't giving too many details, but AMD definetly has 90nm Athlon 64 chips sampleing and from what I could gather, it seems that they are having voltage issues, but completely different ones from Intels due to SOI and other process differences. They also mentioned again how they are working with IBM on 90nm and they seem to be very upbeat about that relationship.

Other than those things, there wasn't much information that a well informed enthusiest wouldn't already know, but we did get to see the 64 bit version of Far Cry in action. It is still early and the build we saw was buggy, but Crytech is building a special map just for the AMD64 version of Far Cry that is 9 times the size of normal maps. It is really amazing to see a 30-40km multiplayer map in Far Cry.

I went to the first one in NJ...it was pretty cool. didnt win anything but learned a lot, the guys were really nice, they took a lot of questions, and the giveaway stuff you get anyway isnt bad. my only thing is it was really long, but again, its a lot of info. i love the featuring of farcry ;)

it was a forth of the size of the equivalent Intel one I went to but the people at the AMD one were a lot nicer. at intel they seemed to be all about the servers, etc, at AMD they are bathing in the glory of leading the 64 bit move and how they are stickin it to intel. also there werent a lot of booths at AMD, 5 or 6, but at intel there were 2 rooms full of em. not a big deal but it was good to be able to talk to the vendors and ask questions and what not.

I was at the Toronto event... THe show was okay... the "host" nerd was a little much for me... and the scripting was so - so. But once Vadeem (I think..) started talking it became super interesting. The Farcry demo was sweet...

Anyone learn anything further on where we get the employee purchase incentive? (PM me) I emailed the guys at AMD after the show but still no answer.

Would love to grab that 3200+ 64Bit CPU, mobo, & Farcry combo up! :eek:

:rolleyes: anyone else going to sunnyvale? I dont really feel like commuting in traffic after work here in pleasanton, kind of a drive. I'm debating if it is worth getting there late after lots of traffic for tshirt mouse trinkets and dinner.

I went. Wasn't bad. It was ofcourse geared towards VARs and system builders. I am only an enthusiast and at most, an employment candidate. Interesting future perspectives though, especially when questioned about socket confusion. Nice T-Shirt!

I was at the Sunnyvale event yesterday... and it seems that the trick for getting good information from the AMD guys about stuff they weren't planning on/didn't want to/weren't supposed to talk about is to catch one of 'em on the way out and strike up a conversation about new stuff. At any rate, I'm planning on writing a TechTour wrapup article to use as part of my launch content for Petra'sTech (which I should have up...sometime...soon :rolleyes: ). Though, I think I'll ask Kyle or someone to take a look at the article before I run with it...just incase.

Anyway, I just love it when a conversation hangs on "You know, I probably shouldn't have told you all of that" :D

Back