2003 Server Cal question Need help

I just purchased Server 2003 which comes with the default 5 cal's. I purchased an additional 5 device cal's. How do I install them on the server. I see no place to add them at all.

The logins and transfer rate from desktops to server seems to be extremely slow. I have the address of the server listed on the dns list for each client. The network is 100Mb and both the server and the desktops are very fast machines. If anyone can come up with a solution I would love them long time.

As far as licensing goes it depends what you selected when you setup the server.

If you selected per server then you can add additional seats via the licensing cpl in the control panel.

If it per seat, just as long as you have the CAL you are good.
*****************************************************************************************************

As for you networking issues, what type of network switch/hub are you plugging into.

It could be a couple of things. 1. duplex mismatch on one of the box's. 2. crappy switch/hub 3. need to update your drivers on your NIC's. 4. Virus Scan software ??

So if I wouldn't have bought the extra CAL's and had 20 users it would still work fine?
Where is the incentive to buy CAL's then?

Its a new 10/100Mb Switch and all of the computers ping the server to <1ms, but the logins are fairly long especially on the "applying personal settings". Opening even 1MB files on the server takes 30 seconds.

geoffsurber said:
So if I wouldn't have bought the extra CAL's and had 20 users it would still work fine?

Honesty? Compliance in an audit?

geoffsurber said:

$150,000 fine per unlicensed user if you get caught. They are a lot more strict on companies than individual users.

Slow logins and speed issues are common on AD servers when there is no AD DNS server on the network. Turning on the DNS service of your 2003 server and making it the primary DNS server for the workstations (you can leave your current DNS server as the secondary) will usually speed things up drastically.

Overall I've noted that 2003 is somewhat slower that 2000 server in almost every installation I've encountered, but dramatic pauses and lags are not normal and point to a configuration error or oversight like the DNS situation mentioned.

Back