200 yd wireless shot....any ideas?

SomeFknGuy

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, I am doing a network setup at my grandparents' house, and plan to shoot the wireless signal from a WAP to the shop which is about 200 yds away. What i want to do is set up a bridged network between the two points with reasonably cheap eqpt. Can anyone recommend a bridge setup for me? Also, what type of antennae should be used? I assume panels, but will they be focused enough? Also, they will likely have to be outdoor... If anyone has any suggestions as to what eqpt would be best, plz let me know, as im running out of websites to search through :)

Should be fairly straightforward if, and that's a big if, there are no obstacles between the 2 points. So, is there anything inbtween these two areas? If so, you will either need to go over it or attempt to go through it, but thats fairly difficult to do.

there are some very sparse trees....which for all practical purposes can be cut down.... Thanks for the input so far, keep the ideas coming. I found some 11 dbi gain panel antenae that i am thinking about pairing to a set of linksys WAPs set to bridged mode..... would that push enough strength to get there?

As long as it's direct line of sight, you could practially communicate with some coat hangers stuck in the air. Just use some cheap directional antennas of your choice and it should be fine.

11db is overkill for 200 yards. I would recommend removing any obstacles if possible and just going with something directional. If you have LOS then virtually any directed pattern will carry at that distance.

I get about 1/8 mile through dense trees.

10.5dBi from hyperlinktech.com
25+ft LMR400
Linksys WRT54GS 100mw running DD-WRT

Client Linksys WRT54GL 100mw with stock antenna.

On top of my car I have 1-2mb connection at 1/8 mile, roughly the same distance you need with an omni and a stock dipole antenna.

Get a good directional, cheap yagi, Hawking tech, whatever, outdoor antenna on each end and you're in good shape.

Just one step past a piece of cake.

Back