~$200 closed-ear headphones

Daedro

Weaksauce
I need some closed ear isolated headphones, but Audio Technica is off the table. I'm in Canada. Too difficult to get them here. The only ones I can find on eBay are the ATH-A900's for $240 shipped. Still, retail would be nice.

I'm looking at these Shure SRH840's
http://store.apple.com/ca/product/H0546ZM/A?afid=p201|1861994&cid=AOS-CA-AFF-FEED

They're for work! I'm wearing the ATH-AD700's right now. They're pretty good, but my head's a touch small for them..

How much are demon d2000s there? Those are the best ones in that price range ATM. The shures are OK though.

Beyerdynamic dt770s sound REALLY good, cost me ~$180 USD with tax at Guitar Center, cheaper online.

+1 on the BeyerD's. But Bose are pretty dang good sounding too. Smooth through the entire range, but the DT770 are sa-weet! Did a partial trade to get mine: $$$ plus an old crybaby pedal.

What about the DT880? Not enough noise isolation for office? More expensive for sure.

Or the AKG K 271 MK II's.. look less comfortable... Are they full sized.. can't tell

Actually, DT7700 look good. Now to decide on which freaking one! There's 80 ohm ediytion, 250, 600, and I can't tell which are which.

Black: http://www.thebdmethod.com/proaudiostar/images/BEY-DT770M_1.jpg
Grey: http://www.audiomusicsales.com/shop...s_-_250_Ohms_and_more_Studio_Headphones_0.jpg
Totally different grey: http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/m/mjFiAYcSrDySAWeESk9mdsw/140.jpg

Last edited:
I'd go with the 80 ohm version, that way you don't have to always have them amped. Not that a good amp wouldn't help tremendously. The dt770s have a very strong low end. If you're a basshead, this would be your headphone of choice.

I'd go with the 80 ohm version, that way you don't have to always have them amped. Not that a good amp wouldn't help tremendously. The dt770s have a very strong low end. If you're a basshead, this would be your headphone of choice.

They look great. $300 ebay.

DT770s have a pretty hollow sounding midrange, the Denon D2000 is the sub $200 king by far. It has lower bass extension than the beyers and the bass is cleaner and tighter. The DT770s are still good for gaming and movies but I find them lacking for some types of music because of the recessed midrange.

My one experience with the D2000's was packed with some of the most horribly boomy and unrefined bass I've ever heard.

Could have been a shitty amp though. I don't know what it was hooked up to.

My one experience with the D2000's was packed with some of the most horribly boomy and unrefined bass I've ever heard.

Could have been a shitty amp though. I don't know what it was hooked up to.

The description you just typed is exactly what many people think of the DT770s bass. The D2000s are known for having much cleaner and tighter bass with lower extension.

A good amp tightens up the 770's considerably, to the point where they barely even sound like the same headphones.

A good amp tightens up the 770's considerably, to the point where they barely even sound like the same headphones.

An amp helps but unless the are modded too. I can't stand them. I had several versions of the headphile modded Darth Beyers. They were pretty good for gaming. Still, Stax destroy them and any dynamic I ever heard for gaming.

The only reasonable two dynamic headphones I would consider atm is the D2000 and Beyer 880. Both comfortable and good at most things.

Still, Stax destroy them and any dynamic I ever heard for gaming.

I see a lot of this in these threads, but it's kind of irrelevant to a guy who's looking in the ~$200 pricerange isn't it?

The most basic set of Stax anythings costs what, $400 if you find a really good deal or closer to $600 if you don't?

As far as the 880's go I'll agree that they're excellent. They're a pretty great option.

I see a lot of this in these threads, but it's kind of irrelevant to a guy who's looking in the ~$200 pricerange isn't it?

The most basic set of Stax anythings costs what, $400 if you find a really good deal or closer to $600 if you don't?

As far as the 880's go I'll agree that they're excellent. They're a pretty great option.

Actually, I scored a pair of stax nova basics for $110 and a srd-7 modded for $150. Generally, Stax are $400 + though correct.

How'd you manage that?

Patience and head-fi. An Srd-7 can be had for as little as $50. mine was a NICE sounding model though. The guy I sold it to has pretty much peed himself over it.

Now my receivers left channel died and I am sol....

Until I figure out a new system. Always a new horizon.

Go Beyer 880 or Denon D2000. After that there is always the $50 JVC HAR 700, $70? 900 and the $80? AD 700. Can't go wrong with any of those.

I miss the times when you could get the JVC 'phones for $30-ish, and $40-ish.

What receiver went out on you spaceman?

EDIT: Can you just attach an amp to its preouts? Something like a cheap adcom 535 or similar?

I miss the times when you could get the JVC 'phones for $30-ish, and $40-ish.

What receiver went out on you spaceman?

EDIT: Can you just attach an amp to its preouts? Something like a cheap adcom 535 or similar?

It a Boston Acoustics AVR 7200. It is 60lbs of BEEFSTEAK!!!

I really think that the BA amp sounds better than any $55 amp I could score. Going to try and fix it or have it fixed before I go that route.

Back