• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

$200 ATI Card AGP

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Sep 25, 2003
Messages
11,463
What ATI card is the direct competitor to the 6600GT in AGP and costs under $200?
 
I'd have to say that, at the moment, the X700Pro is the closest ATi offering. Check out the review of it at xbitlabs.com.

Here's a brief excerpt from their conclusion: "The test data confirm this supposition: the PowerColor X700 PRO is almost everywhere slower than the GeForce 6600 GT."

I think you're better served actually getting a 6600GT (LeadTek, MSI, etc.), but if you're totally locked into the ATi camp, then your choice is the X700Pro. :)
 
The truth has already been spoken. :(

Here is a fun fact from me to you.
I am the keeper of the 3DMark05 list and I have 7 scores for the X700 Pro and 63 scores from the 6600 GT.
So there are 9 times more people (on these forums) that own the 6600 GT than the X700 Pro.
So I think it is rather elementary when deciding which mid range card to purchase.
 
mentok1982 said:
The truth has already been spoken. :(

Here is a fun fact from me to you.
I am the keeper of the 3DMark05 list and I have 7 scores for the X700 Pro and 63 scores from the 6600 GT.
So there are 9 times more people (on these forums) that own the 6600 GT than the X700 Pro.
So I think it is rather elementary when deciding which mid range card to purchase.

Not disputing that the 6600GT is better, cos it is. But why buy a card just because 9 times more people have :confused:
 
direct compitition to 6600GT is the 9800 pro, which can be had for as little as 112 dollars (see hot deals forum), 8 pipes, 256bit bus.
 
X700 Pro AGP cards are non-existant or extremely rare as of now, if you want AGP get a 9800 Pro or a 6600GT.
 
Tigerblade said:
Not disputing that the 6600GT is better, cos it is. But why buy a card just because 9 times more people have :confused:

Because that indicates that 9 times more people think it's a better buy and there must be reasons for that (already stated in this thread). ATi really slipped up big time with the x700.
 
thanks guys, I think I'm gonna raise my budget a little and go for a x800 xl or used x800 pro
 
yea 200$ AGP cards is ATI weak spot right now. 270 and above they are doing great, but there's not to much going on below that for AGP.
 
Jellox said:
Why are you so set on ATI cards?
I believe they are better for running 1920x1200 because the dvi port has a stronger signal then the nvidia cards

actually I think I'm gonna stick with my 6600GT for now until I get a PCI-E board
 
Wow. Nvidia cards are fine at displaying at that resolution. Sure, I know ATI cards usually have a better framerate at higher resolution, but that's only if they have a direct competitor for that price range, which they don't have. Keep your 6600gt unless you want to downgrade for that price range.
 
Jellox said:
Wow. Nvidia cards are fine at displaying at that resolution. Sure, I know ATI cards usually have a better framerate at higher resolution, but that's only if they have a direct competitor for that price range, which they don't have. Keep your 6600gt unless you want to downgrade for that price range.
I'm not talking about framerates, I'm talking about the strength of the DVI signal itself. 1920x1200 is pushing the limits of the DVI interface.
There was discussion about this in one of the huge 2405FPW threads we had, but I don't wanna dig through to find it.
 
i work at bestbuy and it looks like we have tons of x700 pro's in agp.... and looks like nearly all bbs in the northeast do, the card is not rare.
 
Back
Top