$200 2.0 or 2.1 speakers for 2 computers

zedmanauk

n00b
I have 2 computers, a Linux machine that is my main machine and which I listen to music on, and a Windows box for games. Both right now are hooked up through a KVM switch to an cheap old set of 2.1 Harmon Kardon computer speakers that sound poor. The KVM also adds a lot of hiss, so the new setup needs to bypass it (either by having two inputs on the speakers, or by some sort of audio switch). So I'm looking at spending about $200 on a new 2.0 or 2.1 setup, mostly for listening to music but occasionally games too. I don't really have room on my desk for a receiver either, but I do for something like a T-Amp plus a small audio switch.

My other speakers around the house are a pair of small Boston Acoustics bookshelves hooked to a crappy Kenwood amp on my wife's computers, Paradigm Mini Monitors in the living room, and 5 Infinity speakers in the HT (4 Overture 1, 1 CC-3). I prefer better midrange to more bass, since most of the music I listen to is pop, folk, classical, or jazz.

These are the ones I'm looking at right now (all active 2.0 monitors), but I'm open to others too:
  • Swan D1080MKII
    • Pros: Supposedly sound awesome for music.
    • Cons: Big, only one input so I have to get a switch. Audio Insider only place that sells them now since Newegg dropped them?
  • AudioEngine A2
    • Pros: Compact, supposedly sound great for music. 2 inputs.
    • Cons: Bass for games? Volume/power control on the back.
  • Edirol MA-15D
    • Pros: Lots of inputs, including digital. Individual volume controls. Compact
    • Cons: Sound quality not as good as the others? Kind of ugly...
  • Alesis M1 Active 520
    • Pros: Sound quality. Power.
    • Cons: On the bigger side. Only 1 input. Volume on the back.
  • M-Audio Studiophile AV40
    • Pros: Price.
    • Cons: Only 1 input. Is sound quality as good as the others?
  • Behringer MS40
    • Pros: Price. Lots of input, include digital.
    • Cons: Sound quality?
Thanks y'all.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the D1080MKII's and they're fantastic. Sound quality is great; I prefer these babies over my AD700's for music. The voices just sound so much warmer and real compared to my AD700s. Midrange and high's are amazing. The bass on these is respectable; they won't blow out booming bass but it is there and it sounds good. Did I mention how incredibly awesome these things look? The faceplates are a reflective piano black; they're incredibly well done. You could seriously watch a movie by looking at the reflection off the faceplates. Well, almost anyway. The rest of the casing is a very well done wood finish... if they're fake then they've fooled me.

But I got them for $80 shipped (and with a free surge protector :D) from Newegg, so I'm not sure if they'd be as great a value for $180 + shipping. Maybe try getting some used X-LS's? You could also go for some Swans M10's which arent too expensive.

EDIT
Forgot to mention, the D1080MKII's emit a really annoying hissing noise that's always present. I believe it comes from the tweeter. Anyway, if everything in your room is silent it's really annoying. To the point where if I don't have music playing from them I have to have them turned off (I do homework and stuff right in front of em). Turning the treble knob down helps, but I like to set it at the max since I think it makes the music more lively, so I'm kinda stuck :(

I heard the Aego M is supposed to be a quality 2.1 system for under $200. The only problem may be in finding a decent reseller to buy them from.

http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Product_range/Aego_series/Aego_M.asp <- manufacturer website

Out of the choices you listed, I'd recommend avoiding the M-Audio and Behringer speakers, only because I was looking at them as well when I was searching for a good system and found plenty of negative things about them.

I ended up ordering the Audioengine 2s (I have not received them yet). They seemed to have the most uniformly good reviews, and seem very high-quality (at least in pics and reviews) and are quite small so won't take up much room on my desk.

I am currently trying out the M-Audio Av40's. They are great all around speakers, but I'm getting some type of tweeter noise/crackle that I'm trying to pin down. I'm not sure if it's the speakers being defective, or my Creative XtremeGamer acting up.

I have AudioEngine 5's coming in next Wednesday.

Any thoughts on the Audioengine 2's after buying them? I just got ordered some Audioengine 5's myself.

For my 2 computer use I'm happy enough with Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 as those have iPod input so I just plug the second computer into that. I also have both computers outputting digitally to a DAC and then to an Onkyo receiver for my main listening speakers. One of the best very small speakers you can get for the money are the Energy RC-1 Connoisseur's but they really need a sub if you want full frequency. That applies to all small speakers though. There is no such thing as a small speaker with good low end and lots of speaker companies fudge on the low frequency specs to make you think they have decent bass output. Energy doesn't, they say 80hz and that is probably a fairly accurate spec, even though I have seen online sellers BS and say they are 50hz or so.

http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/products/product-page.php?id=315

The AudioEngine 2s have been great so far. Great build quality, small, excellent sound and they get quite loud. My wife wants a pair now. They are sensitive to positioning, though. I have them at the front corners of my desk, toed in to point right at me.

Back