200,000 Points

SpoogeMonkey

2[H]4U
It's official, I finally broke 200k and get a shiny new [H]. It's been a long run. The first 83,000 took 27 months. The rest was done in 6 1/2 months...not a bad jump.
At my current rate, I should break 600k by the end of the year....probably sooner if I can justify a new opty165 in a month. :D

I'm with you there brother. I must have crested 200,000 while I was on vacation. :cool:

Wootage!

I'll be up there with you in a about 6 months, hopefully.

Keep on folding!

Hehe I love your [h]andle, but I am just immature like that. Congrats :D

BTW how is the drive you got?

magnusvir said:
Hehe I love your [h]andle, but I am just immature like that. Congrats :D

BTW how is the drive you got?

I heard Butthead call Beavis a Spoogemonkey about 12 yrs ago, and it's been my online/gaming handle ever since.
I may be getting old, but the only difference between me and a 16 yr old is the price of my toys. :D (And maybe 20 yrs..... :rolleyes: )

yay for 200K... I'll hit 100K "soon" (and yes, us non 16 yo's have better toys, wives.... and well, more fun)

Peace,
Tim

SpoogeMonkey said:
It's official, I finally broke 200k and get a shiny new [H]. <snip>
Oh Yeah ! Congratulations --- and thanks to King_N , that single orange/yellow H is pretty spiffy I agree , and that was a big motivator for me . --- now you can sprint for the red H along with me !

SpoogeMonkey said:
At my current rate, I should break 600k by the end of the year....probably sooner if I can justify a new opty165 in a month. :D

The sooner the better, isn't that all the justification you need? :) Congrats on 200,000! :)

Think of how fast the numbers are going to accumalate once Stanford gets a working GPU folder! I might spend $400 for a new graphics card, and do upgrades on everything for that. Then we can recruit all those dual graphics card folks and get them to fold when not gaming. :D

MN Scout said:
Think of how fast the numbers are going to accumalate once Stanford gets a working GPU folder! I might spend $400 for a new graphics card, and do upgrades on everything for that. Then we can recruit all those dual graphics card folks and get them to fold when not gaming. :D

Yeah but I doubt they will garner as many points as CPUs. I'm pretty sure a GPU can't fold a Gromacs as fast as a cpu can. (unless you're comparing a 7800gtx to a p2 or something.)

Check this out it's a good read: http://graphics.stanford.edu/%7Emhouston/public_talks/R520-mhouston.pdf

From Stanfords Folding@Home high performance client FAQ

October 2005 With the release of the R520 card, it looks like we're getting close. Our unoptimized code is already looking good and we are working to optimize it.

December 2005 We are working on optimizing the newest code. We are seeking help from GPU manufactures to tune our code on their hardware.

All the graphs in that pdf I linked are the preliminary build. If I'm reading some of the graphs at the end correctly 1 ati x1800xt 512mb is anywhere from 3-10x faster than a 3.2ghz P4. And those numbers are with unoptimised code! As can be seen from the news post they are working on getting the code optimised. :)

Woah. I retract my previous statement.... Thats awesome!

Yeah, the nature of the architecture of a graphics card makes it uniquely suited to these calculations, while a general-purpose CPU may be able to do a lot of things ok, but can't do any one tast extremely well.

I wonder if the Ageia physX card will get support. Since the physics cards are intended for almost this exact type of calculation, I can imagine they'd be pretty good at it. A typical protein is no more than a couple thousand atoms. If the physX card can handle 40-50k objects, you're talking about folding a whole lot of proteins at once, or folding one GIGANTIC protein! Imagine the point value on a 10,000-atom protein...yum!

Mohonri said:
I wonder if the Ageia physX card will get support. Since the physics cards are intended for almost this exact type of calculation, I can imagine they'd be pretty good at it. A typical protein is no more than a couple thousand atoms. If the physX card can handle 40-50k objects, you're talking about folding a whole lot of proteins at once, or folding one GIGANTIC protein! Imagine the point value on a 10,000-atom protein...yum!

Stanford has said in numerous posts that the physX card wont be support. They are however planning on using the Clearspeed card. The physX card is game physics not meant for real precise physics. I'm sure someone will find you a better explanation on why not. I need to get to class.

I'd like to see some benchmarks on that client, specifically how some 1-2 year old gpu's will do. Imagine being able to double the production of a box by adding a $100 video card. Farming would be cheaper and/or more productive although most corporate farms probably wouldn't benefit. Just thinking......

I found some figures on Clearspeed. Just for the chip $750-1000 (2 chips on a board). PCI-X only currently. A PCI-X board with 2 processors $7500-10000. They don't say if the DDR-2 ram is included or not.

This is something of a financial/history report: http://www.kbcpeelhunt.com/pdfs/mmeetings/Clearspeed1Dec04.pdf

It's old, but it's something of news. I'm sure things have changed. I don't think I'll ever be able to afford something like this. I'm going to have to stay with the GPU folding.

And now that I hijacked SpoogeMonkey's thread..... :D Congrats on reaching 200k. I'm sure I'll see you up in the top 100 in not too long.

MN Scout said:
If I'm reading some of the graphs at the end correctly 1 ati x1800xt 512mb is anywhere from 3-10x faster than a 3.2ghz P4. And those numbers are with unoptimised code! As can be seen from the news post they are working on getting the code optimised. :)

If I could spit out 364ptrs every 2 hours with a shiny new vid card, I'd feel even more guilty with my < 10yrs/wk gaming. And that would surely be the nail in ocau's coffin.....all those schoolie
borgs would be small potatoes compared to the [H] rigs we have.

I'm hoping to beak the Top 100 in 6 months...we'll see how that goes :p

Back