20 Years Later, We Still Game In The Shadow Of Quake

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Quake is still relevant and will always be relevant, being the first fully 3D game to use polygonal models, support hardware-accelerated graphics rendering, and have multiplayer-specific levels. Do future Quake titles have any chance of recapturing the magic of the originals?

No company has had a greater impact on these games than Id Software, and among its many important achievements stands Quake, which was released 20 years ago this week. There’s never been a game like Quake. And that’s true for both the broader games industry. And, as it turns out, for me personally as well. Looking at the earliest shooters, we see some important milestones, such as DOOM, of course, and Duke Nukem 3D. But it wasn’t until Quake that Id’s genius platform maker, John Carmack, was able to bring us into the world of real time 3D. Every shooter that’s been made since, including the Call of Duty titles I now prefer, could not and would not exist if it weren’t for Carmack, and for Quake.

Descent was out 1 year before, wasn't it?
No, it was out 3 years before, but it wasn't 3d accelerated. I'm not sure when Descent 2 got a 3D accelerated patch, it could have been after Quake.

^ The NV1 accelerated version of Descent was from 1994. GL Quake was released a year after the software renderer Quake.

Descent was out 1 year before, wasn't it?
Yeah, it came out over a year earlier. That's the problem with these types of articles. They want to tell a simple story, but it's often far more complex. The same happens when Wolfenstein 3D is mentioned for FPS shooters, and the earlier Catacomb 3-D which influenced it is ignored.

Last edited:
No, it was out 3 years before, but it wasn't 3d accelerated. I'm not sure when Descent 2 got a 3D accelerated patch, it could have been after Quake.
It had glide support later, but i think the reason is the Voodoo was out only in 1996. I thought POD was out before Quake, but it doesn't seems to be the case

Judging by the sudden positive press id is having and that new level by Machinehead, they are going to announce a new gothic themed Quake at QuakeCon. Worse things have happened. Not a huge fan of these guys but they make good progress.

Reactions: Wine
like this
Back