• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

20" Widescreen LCD

IQJUMPuw

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 19, 2002
Messages
502
Hey guys

I am looking to buy a 20" widescreen LCD monitor. I found Sceptre 20.1" widescreen LCD for $359.99 AR at newegg. Why is this monitor so cheap? It has 1680x1050 resolution, 16:9, 8ms response time, 800:1 contrast ratio. It has better specs than Dell 2005FPW, but cheaper. What gives? I'm seriously thinking about buying this monitor. Do you think it's a good buy or should I look for other monitors? Thanks!
 
I'm not sure myself, but I know the fact it only has a 1 year warranty was a turn off for me. Unless I'm wrong about that.

Also some have reported that they had to send the monitor in to get a firmware upgrade to fix some problem. Thats another thing I didn't want to have to do.

Although don't judge it by my opinion :) I have no idea if its good or not.
 
I have both.

The dell is clearly better.

I got my sceptre for $379 from costco and my Dell for ~$440.

Dell has a very smart control panel, DVI, VGA, Composite, and RCA inputs.
Scepter has a poor control panel, DVI and VGA inputs.

The Dell screen is vibrant and looks way brighter then the sceptre.
Some text looks really bad on the sceptre

Dell has an adjustable stand and the screen can rotate, while the scepter offers no adjustablity.

The dell has many options in the control panel like aspect mode so you can play XBOX 360 on it and not have the picture distorted. Sceptre scales everything to full screen no matter what.

If you have the money get the Dell. Its worth the extra $$$.

dualwide.jpg
 
IQJUMPuw said:
Hey guys

I am looking to buy a 20" widescreen LCD monitor. I found Sceptre 20.1" widescreen LCD for $359.99 AR at newegg. Why is this monitor so cheap? It has 1680x1050 resolution, 16:9, 8ms response time, 800:1 contrast ratio. It has better specs than Dell 2005FPW, but cheaper. What gives? I'm seriously thinking about buying this monitor. Do you think it's a good buy or should I look for other monitors? Thanks!

If it sounds to good to be true....(you fill in the blank).
 
Hmmm...

You guys are truly awesome. Posting pictures and stuff... Thank you so much! The thing about the Dell is it costs $456 plus 8.8% tax for me. I also don't need any other inputs beside DVI. However, if the pictures and texts do not look great on Sceptre, there is no point in buying that monitor. Is it really that bad? Thanks again! =)
 
if you value gaming do not get the sceptre, i had one it got returned the next day, it tears nothing you can do will fix its tearing, you have to send it in for a firmware update to fix the tearing, I returned it and bought a dell, i couldnt be happier.
 
I have my eye on the Sceptre Naga III as well, been some nice postive feedback on Newegg for it lately (RMA would suck but at least Sceptre is good about it from everything I've read). I know people around here a big on Dells but the backlight issues with them concern me. I don't care about shivel on the stand, can always buy a different stand with the money you save.

Now if Newegg would just credit my return on my 19" so I can go shopping. :)
 
I ended up ordering Sceptre but it looks like I'll be returning it.

How do you guys change your desktop resolution to widescreen mode? I have an ATi Radeon 9800 and I can't seem to change my resolution to 1440x900 on my 19" widescreen monitor. I can change it, but the pictures are cut off on the sides so I have to revert back to 1280x720. I'm running the latest Catalyst drivers and I've messed around with monitor settings and everything, but I can't seem to get it to work. Is my video card too old or something?

Thanks again!
 
Did you install drivers for the monitor? It is should show up under Display Properties -> Settings like always. I assume you are trying a different monitor since Sceptre Naga III is meant to run at 1680x1050.
 
i just ordered me a BenQ FP202W from newegg... when i get it ill post a review along with pics :)
 
Yaden said:
Did you install drivers for the monitor? It is should show up under Display Properties -> Settings like always. I assume you are trying a different monitor since Sceptre Naga III is meant to run at 1680x1050.

Yeah I also bought a 19" widescreen LCD (Envision) from costco today. This was gonna go to my brother after my Sceptre arrived. This POS Envision didn't even come with a driver and I can't seem to find it on the web either. This model isn't even listed on their main website. Do you need to install the monitor drivers in order to use the widescreen 1440x900 resolution or something?

*EDIT
I got it to run at 1440x900. Still doesn't look that great though :( Ah well...
 
Well i dont know about you but i think im gonna buy a 2005fpw from costco and continue to save money. once i get enough for a 24 inch or maybe even that new NEC monitor then i will take the dell back to costco for a full refund and buy the next one. hehe :)
 
it's almost like the poster read my mind. i am too looking for buying a new bigger lcd monitor, i have a 19 inch now.
i figured the same thing about the sceptre, it's just too cheap.
the thing about the dell (for me) it is just too small, that's sucks.
do you guys have any other monitors recommendations?
 
stopmenow said:
it's almost like the poster read my mind. i am too looking for buying a new bigger lcd monitor, i have a 19 inch now.
i figured the same thing about the sceptre, it's just too cheap.
the thing about the dell (for me) it is just too small, that's sucks.
do you guys have any other monitors recommendations?

The Dell is too small? The Dell 2005 FPW is 20.1" the same size as the sceptre. its only $439 at costco.
 
Firecrotch said:
Well i dont know about you but i think im gonna buy a 2005fpw from costco and continue to save money. once i get enough for a 24 inch or maybe even that new NEC monitor then i will take the dell back to costco for a full refund and buy the next one. hehe :)

I don't like people who abuse Costco's (or any stores for that matter) return policy. :'( If you KNOW for sure that you are going to return the monitor, I don't think it's right to "borrow" it. It's another story when you return something that is defective or does not perform as advertised, but... Ah well... I guess it's just me.
 
IQJUMPuw said:
I don't like people who abuse Costco's (or any stores for that matter) return policy. :'( If you KNOW for sure that you are going to return the monitor, I don't think it's right to "borrow" it. It's another story when you return something that is defective or does not perform as advertised, but... Ah well... I guess it's just me.

You are very correct. And I really havn't thought about it too much. I like to think im a "good" person most the time. So who knows. Maybe i'll just do the right thing and save until I can afford something i really want.
 
Firecrotch said:
The Dell is too small? The Dell 2005 FPW is 20.1" the same size as the sceptre. its only $439 at costco.

Yeah seriously, people like yo should get ban from their membership.
 
bennetvu said:
Yeah seriously, people like yo should get ban from their membership.

People like me? Well im only 16 so I dont have a membership. I just wasn't thinking. I've never done anything like that before I just want a monitor so bad that im throwing out easy ways to get one. So you guys are right. Im sorry if i sound like cheap guy
 
Firecrotch said:
You are very correct. And I really havn't thought about it too much. I like to think im a "good" person most the time. So who knows. Maybe i'll just do the right thing and save until I can afford something i really want.

Well... I thought about it again and I don't think there's anything wrong with exchanging your monitor for something else from Costco. According to their return policy, they want your complete satisfaction. If you're not satisfied with your monitor for whatever reason, I think you have every right to return it or exchange it for something else. However, I think it's wrong to take it back just because something better comes out. Buy the monitor, try it out. If you like it, keep it.

I'm just worried about Costco changing their awesome return policy if enough people abuse it you know?
 
Back
Top