• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

20 to 24 pin adapter

Joined
Sep 13, 2005
Messages
590
My Enermax EG651P arrived today. It has a 20 pin ATX plug, so I ordered a 20 to 24 pin adapter. Are there any issues I should be aware of when mating this with an Epox EP-9NPA or DFI Lanparty... haven't made up my mind....
 
Dennis Gordon said:
My Enermax EG651P arrived today. It has a 20 pin ATX plug, so I ordered a 20 to 24 pin adapter. Are there any issues I should be aware of when mating this with an Epox EP-9NPA or DFI Lanparty... haven't made up my mind....


Is this the PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/product/Produ...ERMAX+EG651P-VE+FM(24P)+ATX+550W+Power+Supply

It seems that there is a 24pin model. Anyway, did you try just keying with the 20pins? It should work that way......as for the DFI.....well they probably won't give you any support if there is an issue because it isn't a 24pin supply but Dave would know better about that issue.
 
Yep, that's the one. It's the same... except for the 20 pins. I understand that the 24pin is for an extra 12V, and that it's not a big deal to run without it, but I ordered the adapter anyways, since I don't even have the mobo yet. I'll probably go with the Epox as the "safe" choice, since the DFI seems a bit fussy...
 
Dennis Gordon said:
Yep, that's the one. It's the same... except for the 20 pins. I understand that the 24pin is for an extra 12V

That depends there are 24pin native PSU's that are hybrid ATX12v1.3 tha thave 1 12v line but 24pins. ATX12v2.0 added the second 12v to the spec.

and that it's not a big deal to run without it, but I ordered the adapter anyways, since I don't even have the mobo yet. I'll probably go with the Epox as the "safe" choice, since the DFI seems a bit fussy...

DFI does indeed sometimes
 
Dennis Gordon said:
Yep, that's the one. It's the same... except for the 20 pins. I understand that the 24pin is for an extra 12V...

That would be Incorrect.

It's additional 3.3V, 5V and 12V and supplies extra power throughout the board and not just to the AGP or PCI-e slot.
 
With the Epox it'll run fine with 20-pins. As long as it doesn't have too high end of a video card (6600 and up) or too much RAM (more than two sticks) or more than two PCI cards (not including the video.)
 
jonnyGURU said:
With the Epox it'll run fine with 20-pins. As long as it doesn't have too high end of a video card (6600 and up) or too much RAM (more than two sticks) or more than two PCI cards (not including the video.)

Man, that's a lotta maybe's. Is using the adapter any better than just plugging the connector into the board?
 
If you just bought the PSU then why didnt you jusut buy one with native 24pin and dual 12v rails? That would have avoded the entire issue no?
 
Dennis Gordon said:
Man, that's a lotta maybe's. Is using the adapter any better than just plugging the connector into the board?

Well.. It'll run, but it'll lock up under hardcore use. The adapter will help that... it'll just look like ass and may still cause stability issues because the voltage may drop under load due to the added resistance of the connector.
 
I(illa Bee said:
If you just bought the PSU then why didnt you jusut buy one with native 24pin and dual 12v rails? That would have avoded the entire issue no?
It's called "Ebay Fever". I was looking for a PSU, saw this one with a few minutes left... ran over to Newegg to check the specs (did notice that they had a 24FM model, but ignored it) bid, and won. I immediately thought...hmm, wonder if it's 24 pin, but knowing there are adapters, figured the hell with it. It's really a nice unit, and I have 10 workstations that are being rebuilt in the next year or so, so I'll definitely make good use of it one way or another, if it turns out to be problematic. I've had to replace 3 PSUs in the past year. I normally spend about $35 for the cheapo 350W. $70 for this 550W unit is still worth it whether I use it now or later...
 
Spectre said:
Is this the PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/product/Produ...ERMAX+EG651P-VE+FM(24P)+ATX+550W+Power+Supply

It seems that there is a 24pin model. Anyway, did you try just keying with the 20pins? It should work that way......as for the DFI.....well they probably won't give you any support if there is an issue because it isn't a 24pin supply but Dave would know better about that issue.
Yes, DFI "requires" native 24-pin ATX & a min of 480W for their N4 mobos.

DFI "Requirements": http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.php?p=101722&postcount=34

DFI N4 PSU Guide: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854
 
Just a follow up. I assembled the parts last night, and it runs like a champ. 3800X2, Epox 9NPA+Ultra. The PSU is quiet and stable (so far). I'll never buy a cheap PSU again....;-)
 
Back
Top