20" S-IPS non-widescreen LCD recommendations?

MentatYP

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 15, 2005
Messages
497
So I bought a 2 Dell 2001FP LCDs a couple weeks ago for photo editing and general use. One of them had backlight bleed in the corners, but it was otherwise great (could only see the problem when the picture is completely black). The 2nd one looked like the backlight was misaligned--the left side was much brighter than the right side of the screen. I called Dell and they said they would send me a replacement.

Fast forward to today, over a week later and I still have no replacement. I go to support chat and turns out the cancelled the replacement without telling me (classic Dell, but whatcha gonna do?), because the 2001FP is no longer for sale from Dell. My only option is to return it.

So that's where I am--looking for a good 20" non-widescreen LCD. I'd like an S-IPS panel for color accuracy because I do a lot of photo editing, including portraits and wedding photography. I don't want widescreen because I'd much rather have 1600x1200 than 1680x1050. Widescreen is a very last resort if I can't find a good non-widescreen model.

Around the $400-$500 price range would be nice. I don't have deep pockets to buy the LaCie/Eizo/NEC pro models, so please don't mention those :) Anybody have any suggestions?
 
Too many early reports of noticable banding on the 2007FP. I was looking at it as an option, but I don't think I could tolerate banding for a photo-editing monitor.
 
ViewSonic VP201s or VP201b
HP L2035
LG Flatron L2013P
LG Flatron L2000C

These all the same as the 2001FP.
 
Some corrections:
2007fp is not S-IPS anymore. I had one, it was a samsung S-PVA that was pretty nasty.

Larkens list is correct. All the same panel as the 2001FP (original version). Except the L2000C which is the newer version of the panel.

In the affordable range there is also the Sony 204/205. The Nec 2070NX.
 
VP2030b is a MVA panel which typically should have color slightly less than or equal to an S-IPS panel depending on how good it is calibrated. It panel should be better for games and movies over the S-IPS monitors listed excluding graphics applications. Keep in mind though these S-IPS monitors are all from previous generation and the MVA panel seems to be newer.
 
LG L2000C is definitely the newest generation S-IPS panel.

If color is the only concern. PVA/MVA panels may be fine. Myself I can't stand the tone shifts on PVA/MVA and I am also looking for a S-IPS panel in 1600x1200.

LG L2000C would be my first choice if available in Canada.

For color the NEC 2070nx probably has the best in the price range with perfect gradients with no banding and extensive color controls.
 
Hi,

Larken, you say that the monitors you listed has the exact same panel as 2001FP, does that mean that the physical dimension of the display area is exactly the same aswell?

The reason for asking is that I'm currently looking for second monitor to complement my 2001FP in a dual setup. If physical size differs it would impose a strain when switching between the monitors all the time.
 
Argem said:
Hi,

Larken, you say that the monitors you listed has the exact same panel as 2001FP, does that mean that the physical dimension of the display area is exactly the same aswell?
Yes they are exactly the same panel. Same pixel size, aspect ratio and dimensions thus display area should be the same. Other than each will have minor differences in color quality and brightness.
The reason for asking is that I'm currently looking for second monitor to complement my 2001FP in a dual setup. If physical size differs it would impose a strain when switching between the monitors all the time.
Well the bezel thickness and the stand are the only difference, but they shouldn't pose much of a problem since the Dell can be height adjusted.
 
The VP201 models don't seem to be available anymore. Out of production? The L2000C looks pretty nice, but I haven't been able to find any reviews of it. I might just have to wait a while until the L2000C reviews come out. Thanks for the recommendations, and keep 'em coming if there are any more.
 
MentatYP said:
The VP201 models don't seem to be available anymore. Out of production? The L2000C looks pretty nice, but I haven't been able to find any reviews of it. I might just have to wait a while until the L2000C reviews come out. Thanks for the recommendations, and keep 'em coming if there are any more.

There are some reviews of the L2000C:

http://www.biosmagazine.co.uk/rev.php?id=443
http://www.custompc.co.uk/custompc/reviews/84156/lg-flatron-l2000c.html
http://www.computerpoweruser.com/ed...=articles/archive/c0604/31c04/31c04.asp&guid=

And some translated web site/user reviews:

http://translate.google.com/transla...ww.lesnumeriques.com/article-203-1109-35.html
http://translate.google.com/transla...//www.prad.de/board/thread.php?threadid=25271

Unfortunately some reviewers mention banding problems comparable to those found on the 2007FP when it used the S-IPS panel.

I too am looking for a decent 1600x1200 or even 1280x1024 IPS panel that in addition to the usual advantages of IPS can handle FPS gaming. As Snowdog mentioned the L2000C isn't available in Canada now. The LG M2040A and BenQ FP2092 may also be newer generation S-IPS if and when they come available in North America but this will have to be verified. Otherwise I may be able to buy a VP201 refurb at $350 but the return policy has 15% restocking fee so I'm not sure it's worth the gamble. I guess I'll go back and look at the long VP201 thread to see what the critiques were and how it handles fast games.
 
Thanks for those L2000C review links. Wow, the banding sounds horrible on it too. What's up with these new fast-response LCDs? Seems like a whole lot of these newer 8ms LCDs are having serious banding issues. Yeah, I know 8ms isn't all that fast, but it's much quicker than the specified 16ms of the Dell 2001FP. I would much rather have a 16ms LCD with no banding issues.
 
Snowdog said:
LG L2000C is definitely the newest generation S-IPS panel.

If color is the only concern. PVA/MVA panels may be fine. Myself I can't stand the tone shifts on PVA/MVA and I am also looking for a S-IPS panel in 1600x1200.

LG L2000C would be my first choice if available in Canada.

For color the NEC 2070nx probably has the best in the price range with perfect gradients with no banding and extensive color controls.

Snowdog, that's the 2nd time you suggested the NEC 2070NX in this thread and I completely missed it both times until just now. Have you had personal experience with it? If not, where are you getting your info from regarding perfect banding-less gradients and good color controls? It certainly sounds encouraging anyway, so send some review links if you have them.
 
I read a review. I think all the NECs have some kind of 6 axis colour control which allows you to get any kind of calibration you need, but come out of the box with quite decent color and it the 2070nx has a S-IPS panel. The only deficit is the monitor stand doesn't do pivot mode.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=1147

DisplayMate’s colour ramps and greyscales when using a digital connection were all smoothly graduated – in fact some of the best I’ve seen. There were no signs of banding and the colours were not compressed at either the highlight and lowlight ends of the scales. Those small nuances between closely matched grey levels were just discernable too, which makes all the difference when I’m removing the shadows around some of the product shots I produce for TrustedReviews. As for our test DVD movie this looked clean and sharp and I couldn’t really notice any motion smearing when watching this or while gaming.
 
Back
Top