• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

20 Questions With Phil Harrison

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Kotaku has a twenty question interview with Sony’s Phil Harrison posted today that is worth reading. When asked what he thought of Gabe Newell’s comment that the PS# was a “total disaster on many levels”, Harrison had this to say:

I have to ask this, though. By what measure is the launch unsuccessful? We had people lined up in stores in three continents for days. We sold everything we shipped into the marketplace. We continued to supply week after week. We have supplied more products in Japan, Asia and the US, and more software than we did for the PS1 and PS2. "What's wrong with this picture" is my view? We can always sell more, have more software.
 
Of course, he is talking about launch time only, and does not mention the piles of PS3's that are gathering dust on the stores right now... the art of the PR...
 
The fact that they fell so far short of their promised numbers that it wasn't even funny has nothing to do with it...?
 
I have to ask this, though. By what measure is the launch unsuccessful? We had people lined up in stores in three continents for days. We sold everything we shipped into the marketplace. We continued to supply week after week. We have supplied more products in Japan, Asia and the US, and more software than we did for the PS1 and PS2. "What's wrong with this picture" is my view? We can always sell more, have more software.

Still can't find a freaking Wii. Thats how I measure a console's launch as a success.
 
What do you mean you can't find a Wii? You can have one right now if you're willing to buy a bundle.

And as far as manufacturing difficulties go, I thought it was Sony that was having problems not Nintendo. You have to face it, the Wii is a huge success. It bridges the gap between your average gamer and people that normally wouldn't even touch a video game.
 
There is a hilarious inteview in EGM this month with Jack Tretton the US Sony CEO. They asked him about the fact that PS3 is sitting on shelves at a lot of stores and he actually said that if they can find a PS3 on a shelf for more then 5 minutes he'll give them 1200 bucks for it. I don't think he is trying to lie I think he is being devieved by his underlings about how well they are doing. I wonder if he saw the latest sales from japan showing Wii selling 4 TO 1 better then PS3. Last week Wii sold 83,000 and PS3 sold 20,000 and that is with an unlimited supply of PS3 on the shelves. Plus the PS3 costs 100 dollars less in Japan then it does here.
Another one of his comments bascally says that PS3 is more liekly to bring new gamers into the fold then the Wii. Nice way to try and take the strength of your competitor and tru it around. The article is truly funny and a great read.
 
Never been a fan of the Sony playstation and to be honest ever since Quake2 PC online I haven't even been a fan of consoles... but I had a feeling the PS3 would not be the success that Sony had with the PS2. The PS3 seems to be all talk no walk...XBOX360 seems to at least be able to walk the walk and the Wii is a total winner at least from what I have read. I might be going on a limb here when I say this but I don't think there will be a PS4. I have a hunch this will be Sony's last console.
 
Wow, the "answers" in that interview were incredibly useless. Is it just me, or did he not actually answer a single one of them...?
 
Mr Harrison is totally out of touch with reality.Nintendo is crushing the the PS3 under its boot.And no he didnt answer even one of the q's
 
There is a hilarious inteview in EGM this month with Jack Tretton the US Sony CEO. They asked him about the fact that PS3 is sitting on shelves at a lot of stores and he actually said that if they can find a PS3 on a shelf for more then 5 minutes he'll give them 1200 bucks for it. I don't think he is trying to lie I think he is being devieved by his underlings about how well they are doing.
This is exactly why I wish people would use their camera phones to take pictures that would show how easy it is to find a 60GB PS3 in stock at retail stores. Every time someone posts that PS3's are stacked on store shelves, the Sony PR machine and fan squads start denying the fact.
 
Yes, there were shortages and sell-outs of the PS3 at launch. Sony made sure of that by undersupplying so that they COULD say they sold out.

And yet they still sold less on launch than Wii. Marketers seem to forget those other facts quite easily...
 
Back
Top