• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

20" Glossy?

Magice

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 24, 2006
Messages
217
I need help choosing a display.. I am looking for a dual-monitor setup of 20 - 22 - 24" in size.. I mostly game and browse the web and various other activities. Out of 20 - 24, which would look the best (widescreen) ? Also I am looking into glossy. Everyone that has it says it is FAR superior to non glossy.. Which one would be better? Would I be able to get a link to a few that meet that? I also have a $550CAD budget.
 
The "glossy" LCDs aren't very good in my opinion. They have sweet contrast but they reflect EVERYTHING in them.
 
I did some Projection research into the coatings that are applied to LCDs and what they do.
The glossy ones have less filters and as such are less lossy.
You should be looking more or less at the LCDs glass directly.
The picture should be brighter and clearer compared to the same panel with antiglare filters.
The disadvantage is they do reflect the surroundings.

If you can live with the reflections or have a dark enough room, the glossy LCD's are lovely.
 
Alright. I was originally thinking about this but I think I will go glossy now. Would anyone be able to name me a 20,21, or 24" glossy widescreen?
 
Magice said:
Alright. I was originally thinking about this but I think I will go glossy now. Would anyone be able to name me a 20,21, or 24" glossy widescreen?
I can whole heartedly suggest the Acer Ferrari F-20 not just because it's unique looking but also because it's a great monitor. Got mine for under $400 shipped from PC connection...don't let the haters steer you away from glossy if that is what you like. I think the glossy coating not only makes the colors richer
but also makes it seem more expensive because it gives the illusion of glass.

edit- just realized the review I linked is for the Euro model...the North American model doesn't have the tv tuner/remote but it's also less expensive.
 
Hmm I really dislike LCDs with built in speaks and I wanted a thinner frame.. any other one like that but meets what I need?
 
Magice said:
Hmm I really dislike LCDs with built in speaks and I wanted a thinner frame.. any other one like that but meets what I need?
Yeah, the bezel on the F-20 is kinda wide but if you see it in person it looks really good...more classy than the pictures show. The only other glossy panel I can think of with a thinner bezel would be the Acer 2051W that has a P-MVA panel instead of the F-20's S-IPS...or the NEC 20WMGX2 which is about $200 more and personally I think is butt ugly even though it's a great monitor.
 
I'm very happy with my Acer 2051w - the glossy is a big plus, otherwise I'd have bought the Dell 2007WFP.

I can't compare with the F-20 since I've never seen one in person. You might get the F-20 since it's discounted more than the 2051w, which is sold basically at retail.
 
travbomb said:
NEC 20WMGX2
I seriously considered spending the extra bones for this one...but I couldn't justify the price considering I already have a good Hauppage tv tuner and the faster response would have been wasted since I have yet to experience ghosting on the F-20. Also the overall look of the panel front and back just didn't appeal to me...I don't know what the NEC designers were thinking.
 
Back
Top