20-30-20 config questions

dudewth

[H]|G Minecraft Division Leader
I'm thinking of running a 20 + 30 + 20 config.

I currently have SLI GTX460s and would run the 30" off of them. Would this cable work for 2560x1600 on the 30" monitor if the monitor I get from ebay doesn't have one?

I was thinking of then getting a GT430 to run the two 20" monitors. One with a DVI cable and the other with an HDMI->DVI cable. The main reason for the GT430 is the price point and that it's relatively new and quiet. These side monitors are only for webpage browsing etc while gaming.

Does that sound like it will work in general?

that cable will work fine. idk why that 430 wouldn't work for the other two displays either. should be fine.

yes, it works
I use a 21,26,21 setup (21" are 4:3 screens, 26" is 16:10)
both 21's are hooked to the 430, the 26 is hooked to a 460

Thanks for the confirmation. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting money.

You could run all 3 displays off of the 2 460s you have, no need for the 430.

How much of an impact will that have when gaming? I thought offloading the two 20" monitors to a separate card would help for gaming at 2560x1600. Anyone have any info?

I'm only gaming at 1920x1080, so my 6850s won't be pushed as hard, but I've never had any trouble running an extra desktop display along with it. It can't take that much GPU power to run those. I couldn't tell ya how much impact- I just figured if you are trying to save cash, it would allow you not to spend any:) In any case, you could go a good bit cheaper that a 430 to run 2 displays- you can even do that off of an IGP, so any cheapo card should do.

If you were to do this, you would either have to run in surround view, which requires the three monitors to run in the same resolution/orientation, or disable sli. I'm guessing you want the sli to run your main display, so getting the peripheral card should do the trick. Heck, you could probably even set the 430 to be your dedicated physx gpu ;)

I'm only gaming at 1920x1080, so my 6850s won't be pushed as hard, but I've never had any trouble running an extra desktop display along with it. It can't take that much GPU power to run those. I couldn't tell ya how much impact- I just figured if you are trying to save cash, it would allow you not to spend any:) In any case, you could go a good bit cheaper that a 430 to run 2 displays- you can even do that off of an IGP, so any cheapo card should do.
I'm pretty close to buying a Dell U3011 so the GT430 isn't what I'm worried about! Thanks.

If you were to do this, you would either have to run in surround view, which requires the three monitors to run in the same resolution/orientation, or disable sli. I'm guessing you want the sli to run your main display, so getting the peripheral card should do the trick. Heck, you could probably even set the 430 to be your dedicated physx gpu ;)

In that case, yea I'd rather not disable SLI. 2560x1600 will be a bit too much for one GTX460 I think.

Back