20 - 24 pin cable

cisobe

Limp Gawd
Ok... stupid me... I'm putting together a new rig.. I didn't realize I needed a 24 pin power supply... I picked up a 20 pin Antec True Power 480 watt PSU... i've seen people say they have setup similar rigs with this power supply...

I read somewhere that i can pick up a 20 to 24pin adapter... is this possible and is there anything bad about this type of setup? need help quick...

feeling like such a noob....

jonnyGURU said:
Yes. They have 20-to-24 pin connecotr adapters.....

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=2909&osCsid=9390ef1c9065c9d58e2d759ea05130af

Or drop me a PM w/ your address. I have a pile of about 20 of them. I'll just give you one.
YHPM

Will this adapter fix the problem with the MSI K8N Neo4 platinum SLI and the whole 24 pin/-5v problem? I have a Antec Tru430 PSU, and this board is on the way to my house. My 20 pin connector has a white wire in it, but not sure it that will work.

If you have a PSU with a 20-pin connector, it's going to have -5V.

They didn't remove -5V from the spec until after they went to 24-pins (or 23, I guess really.) ;)

The adapters I have all have -5V wired to the connector.

jonnyGURU said:
If you have a PSU with a 20-pin connector, it's going to have -5V.

They didn't remove -5V from the spec until after they went to 24-pins (or 23, I guess really.) ;)

The adapters I have all have -5V wired to the connector.
So will my PSU work with this mobo and the onboard sound? Do I need an adapter? Or do I need a new PSU?

Recap:

You said your PSU had a 20-pin connector.

I said if it had a 20-pin connector that it would have -5V.

I then said that my adapters all had a -5V lead going to the board.

;)

I don't think we missed anything here. ;)

:D

Ok, I've been calling around and got in contact with someone at a local computer store here in Hawaii. I asked him if they carried the 20 to 24 pin adapter cable... He said the adapter isn't necessary, and he said I can plug in my 20 pin cable into the 24 pin mobo. He said I can plug it in on the bottom leaving the upper 4 pins open. He said it should work because the upper 4 pins are not required... is this true? Should I try it?

cisobe said:
Ok, I've been calling around and got in contact with someone at a local computer store here in Hawaii. I asked him if they carried the 20 to 24 pin adapter cable... He said the adapter isn't necessary, and he said I can plug in my 20 pin cable into the 24 pin mobo. He said I can plug it in on the bottom leaving the upper 4 pins open. He said it should work because the upper 4 pins are not required... is this true? Should I try it?

Yes it is true. Should you try it....sure. What can happen? It can be less than stable.

Ideal solution get a 24pin PSU. The adapter will add resistance on the 3.3v line and is not the best plan......however it will work.....well most of the time ;)

So do you have a 20-pin PSU or a 24-pin PSU, because in the first post you said you had a 20-pin True Power 480W.

You also have a 24-pin?

You can plug the 24-pin in and leave 4-pins hanging over the edge as long as there's no obstruction (on an MSI board there usually isn't.)

But when you use a 24-pin PSU with an MSI board, you have to make sure you have a -5V lead or your sound won't work.

How do you know? Look at the label. There's a listing for +12V, +5V, +3.3V, +5VSB, -12V... but is there a -5V listed?

All my local stores say that they don't carry the adaptors just yet, but I was told that I could leave 4 pins open and be just fine. So far, my DFI nForce 4 board is working just fine and the voltages are pretty stable, but I do have the adaptor on the way from newegg. But I am going to save up a few more bucks and get one of the suggested power supplies that have 24 pins just to balance everything out.

Spectre said:
Think he has a 20pin PSU and a 24pin mobo.

Ok. Looking back, I guess he never did say the opposite.

Just all of these 20's and 24's being thrown around confused my drunk ass.

Anyhoo, OP, I've got an adapter cable going in the mail with your name on it just the same. ;)

jonnyGURU said:
Ok. Looking back, I guess he never did say the opposite.

Just all of these 20's and 24's being thrown around confused my drunk ass.

Anyhoo, OP, I've got an adapter cable going in the mail with your name on it just the same. ;)
Don't forget me!!! :D

Sorry. I meant you. I'm getting you two confused.

Perhaps I should consider using some vaca days. :(

jonnyGURU said:
Perhaps I should consider using some vaca days. :(

Personally I would stick with the vacation days instead.....they just seem longer :p

Sorry for all the confusion... My PSU is 20 pin and my mobo is 24 pin...

I did find a local store that carried the adapter... The voltage and system seem pretty stable so I think it worked for me... Thanks for offering to mail an adapter to me... but I just couldn't wait... I've been waiting to put my rig together for almost a week now... I had all the parts except a monitor and case which i picked up on Monday... I don't think i could have handled another 2-3 days for it to come in the mail... Especially since the BF2 demo came out... :D

I've been dying listening to all my coworkers talking about playing it... and me sitting twittling my fingers till all my parts arrived...

I did alittle stress test on my rig last night.. (play BF2 demo) and it ran smooth... no hiccups (knocks on wood)...

Back