20-22 inch TFT monitor with great image quality?

xeefus

Limp Gawd
I was wondering if there are any good 20-22" TFT monitors with nice image quality; sharpness, colors, contrast? The price I don't know really, about 600euros maybe?
It should be OK for gaming too, and I'd like to avoid input lag! I play mostly games like Diablo 2, Warcraft 3, Baldurs Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, also Quake 3 and perhaps some Half-Life 2 too.
1680x1050 resolution, which means widescreen, is what I want.
Glossy or matte, don't know really. It's going to be in my room so I guess glossy is fine.

Going to buy it in Europe of course!

TN-panels I've heard have quite bad image quality... S-IPS's, might be too expensive? Don't know really. 16.7 million colors is kind of important right?

Anything I've missed? :D

You didn't give a price range but the Dell 2007WFP meets your criteria for a very nice price (at least on this side of the pond) but if you want to spend a little more and get faster response time and a glossy panel I would get the NEC 20WMGX2 (or 20WGX2 in Europe). I would recommend the Acer F-20 but on your side of the world it comes with a tv tuner/remote which jack up the price and makes other panels a better value.

I think I said about 600 euros :) Doesn't the Dells have that banding issue and that backlight bleeding? I've heard so...

What kind of panel is the NEC?

2007WFP is using S-PVA's in Europe. The banding issue has been almost completly corrected.
NEC 20WMGX2 (AS-IPS panel) does not have 1:1 aspect ratio scaling in the European version.

Scyles said:
2007WFP is using S-PVA's in Europe. The banding issue has been almost completly corrected.
NEC 20WMGX2 (AS-IPS panel) does not have 1:1 aspect ratio scaling in the European version.

How come there is such a difference between the European and American version?
Which one is the better? :/

Scyles said:
2007WFP is using S-PVA's in Europe.
You are totally wrong. Only a small part of them use S-PVA, most of them use the same S-IPS panel as the one in the US and Canada. If you get an S-PVA you can exchange it until you get an S-IPS. Even better, in Europe the new revision A03 of 2007WFP is available. It's not in the rest of the world yet. :D

American version is better.

The NEC came out in Europe first, I guess they decided to add some things to the US version. Though you'd have to live with 4:3 games like Diablo 2 being stretched (unless your video card driver supports 1:1 scaling), the NEC 20WMGX2 is the best 20" out there. It is also the most expensive, and may be outside of your budget.

Dell is getting cheap, and is putting cheaper panels in their European monitors. They have already started doing this in the US too, with the non-widescreen 2007FP.

Oh, that sounds neato. S-IPS is the better one, right?

And about Diablo 2, forget that. I'm playing it in Windowed mode anyway, so it will be in a little window... :)

Aren't there any 22" which are great? Or is it possible to like add 200~ euros for a 24" with even higher resolution?

blunden said:
You are totally wrong. Only a small part of them use S-PVA, most of them use the same S-IPS panel as the one in the US and Canada. If you get an S-PVA you can exchange it until you get an S-IPS. Even better, in Europe the new revision A03 of 2007WFP is available. It's not in the rest of the world yet. :D

I don't see how that makes me "totally wrong". So, there is a lottery in Europe on the 2007WFP, and if you get an S-PVA you can exchange your brand new monitor for a refurbished one, as that is Dell's policy.

Aren't there any 22" which are great? Or is it possible to like add 200~ euros for a 24" with even higher resolution?

All 22" are TN. 24" IPS panels are only just now coming out, they're expensive.

Scyles said:
I don't see how that makes me "totally wrong". So, there is a lottery in Europe on the 2007WFP, and if you get an S-PVA you can exchange your brand new monitor for a refurbished one, as that is Dell's policy.

Oh. I'd rather not get a refurbished one...

You could make sure you get a full refund and then place the order again later, but that would take a while :D

Scyles said:
Well, I might have exagerated slightly. Though your post made it sound like they were always sold with S-PVA, which is not the case. Most all of them are still S-IPS, only a few are S-PVA. I simply meant that you post was misleading. Also, when exchanging them within the first 15 days or whatever it is you will get a new monitor, not a refurbished one. That's at least what I have read. And if that were a problem you could just refund it and then buy it again. You may have to pay the shipping but I've never heard of any restocking fees like in the US.

This is pretty confuzzelating. So, about the post I made some .. posts up, about 22-24"?

xeefus said:
This is pretty confuzzelating. So, about the post I made some .. posts up, about 22-24"?
Didn't Scyles just answer that in post 9? All 22" use TN-panels and a new 24" S-IPS is coming but will be expensive.

blunden said:
Didn't Scyles just answer that in post 9? All 22" use TN-panels and a new 24" S-IPS is coming but will be expensive.

Oh. Didn't see that :( Sorry!

Hm. Is the 244T an IPS one?

xeefus said:
Oh. Didn't see that :( Sorry!

Hm. Is the 244T an IPS one?
No. As I said, the 24" S-IPS is coming, not available in any monitor yet. P-MVA or S-PVA (can't remember) is used in the 24" monitors.

I feel kind of dumb now. I've missed alot :(

Hm, so. The MVA panels are pretty neat, right?
What panel is the 970P samsung one? I just love that monitor except for the resolution and size! And not being wide of course.

How are the TFT monitors today compared to that one?

xeefus said:
I feel kind of dumb now. I've missed alot :(

Hm, so. The MVA panels are pretty neat, right?
What panel is the 970P samsung one? I just love that monitor except for the resolution and size! And not being wide of course.

How are the TFT monitors today compared to that one?

You might want to check out the Samsun 971p its and updated version of the 970p. Better contrast, and ergonomics and sells for a lower price.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=232496

Review:

http://www.overclockersonline.com/?page=articles&num=581

blunden said:
No. As I said, the 24" S-IPS is coming, not available in any monitor yet. P-MVA or S-PVA (can't remember) is used in the 24" monitors.
TN and S-PVA are the only panel technologies currently available for 22-24" monitors.

Oh well. The new LG looks rather interesting if it's going to be at the price it's set at (incredible price). :O S-IPS too!

Back