20.1" Widescreen for gaming?

Rhyick

Weaksauce
I've read threads, sifted through reviews, and looked around at different types of monitors, but I really can't decide what monitor I'd like to get. I'm not an expert in the panel types, but I know the basics. It does get confusing, though, as to exactly how much improved the monitor response times in non-TN panels are in the TFT sticky at the top of the forum. The monitors I've looked at are Dell 2007WFP, SAMSUNG 205BW, ViewSonic VX2025WM, LG L204WT Monitor, Acer AL2051W. I have also looked at the NEC LCD20WGX2, but the price is a bit too high for me.

The most promising (gaming wise) I think is the AL2051W (it's even in Acer's gaming line if that means anything), and I like the glossy panel that it has. Also from what I've read, I've gathered that the Dell 2007WFP has ghosting and banding problems which are a minus for it.

Anyways, I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions as to what type of 20.1" monitor to get that is mainly for gaming but also has a good image quality? If it's not on the list that I mentioned above, that's fine too - I'll look into any suggestions. Oh, and my price range is about $400 or less.

Acer Ferrari F-20 falls into your price range (got mine for $389 shipped) it has an 8 bit S-IPS panel for better color reproduction than TN, overdrive to achieve 8ms g to g, and looks FREAKIN AWESOME. :cool: I play Flatout 2, NFSMW, AOE III, Quake 4, Oblivion on this monitor and everything looks fantastic...as far as ghosting I haven't noticed any. Response time affects the speed of the mouse/gamepad right? Well, I'm well on my way to finishing Flatout2 and playing through NFSMW for the 3rd time and it hasn't affected my game at all.

edit- pictures don't really do it justice..it is very classy looking and not at all cheesy. The Ferrari badge and glossy black/red paintjob are like nothing you've ever seen in a monitor before. Also..that review I linked is for the European model with tv tuner/remote, the US model doesn't have that.

I like the sleek design on the F-20. I'd have to do some more research in that!

Also, I spent some more time looking at the LG L204WT. From what I've seen it's great for gaming (5ms response time - not g2g) and it's also $340 at Circuit City. My only problem with it is that supposedly it doesn't come with a DVI cable. If I were to go pick this up at Circuit City, I'd have to also purchase a DVI-D cable (it would be male/male, right?). :confused:

I got the LG L204WT its awesome monitor its very sharp colors are great for 340 bucks its a awesome deal. yea it doesn't come with a DVI cable which kinda sucks but you can buy one online for cheap
its pretty good in vga too. I use the DVI cable though. I mostly play WOW and battlefield 2 and this monitor looks excellent in both games
Wow is more immersive than my Viewsonic 19inch CRT
I like the WideScreen Aspect it just seems more natural viewing
When i was shopping around for LCD's I saw the veiwsonic mention above and the samsung the only one i haven't seen is the dell
I have to say thought the colors were richer on the LG the contrast just seemed alot better too. I dunno the only way you can really shop for a LCD is just to get out and go to different stores where they have these on display so you can see for yourself thats what i did and i chose the LG But when LCd monitors are closely compared it basically comes down to personal taste also

123Lanoix said:
I got the LG L204WT its awesome monitor its very sharp colors are great for 340 bucks its a awesome deal. yea it doesn't come with a DVI cable which kinda sucks but you can buy one online for cheap
its pretty good in vga too. I use the DVI cable though. I mostly play WOW and battlefield 2 and this monitor looks excellent in both games
Wow is more immersive than my Viewsonic 19inch CRT
I like the WideScreen Aspect it just seems more natural viewing
When i was shopping around for LCD's I saw the veiwsonic mention above and the samsung the only one i haven't seen is the dell
I have to say thought the colors were richer on the LG the contrast just seemed alot better too. I dunno the only way you can really shop for a LCD is just to get out and go to different stores where they have these on display so you can see for yourself thats what i did and i chose the LG But when LCd monitors are closely compared it basically comes down to personal taste also
That's very true. I'll be taking a trip to Circuit City this weekend to check it out. :)

For what its worth, the 2007 I just got looks great. Games haven't had any ghosting issues and have all looked great, and I can't see any banding in my A02.

Lots of other great choices out there for sure, but I wouldn't worry so much about the Dell having issues. Very happy with mine so far.

I just got a Dell 2007 wide and a Viewsonic VX922.......I like both but the VX922 has one dead pixel in the mid to top of the screen. I kinda like the dell better.......

i got the LG L204WT, its quite amazing, crisp colors, 2000:1 contrast ratio is awesome, but as already stated it doesnt come with a DVI cable, but VGA still looks damn good.

FWIW, I just picked up the Samsung 205BW today and have been playing COD2 and Madden 07 all night. It's awesome.

It rocks. The only thing that upsets me about it is that Madden 07 doesn't do widescreen resolutions and there appears to be no way to not stretch the image to fill the monitor.

$299 out the door at OfficeMax, or $299 after $50 rebate from CompUSA.

si0dine said:
Alot of people have said its actually a P-MVA panel
I know but just as many say IPS also. Acer's UK site says S-IPS..the US site doesn't list panel technology for anything. My panel gets slightly pink/purple at extreme side angles which is supposed to be a characteristic of IPS.

Back