2 Xbox Ones and ASUS RT-N66U problem

linoge

n00b
Hi. My brother and I each have an Xbox One and when they are hardwired to the router everything works fine. I had to move one XBox recently and now it has to be wireless. A whole bunch of connection issues arose. We can no longer join each other's games without trying many times. Party chat we can both hear everyone but not everyone can hear both of us. I don't really know much about the router settings and left most everything as it was. Is there anything I can do to make this setup work?

My router is the ASUS RT-N66U (3.0.0.4.376_3602)

I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

Last edited:
It may not fix the issue, but I'd suggest updating the firmware on the router. You're a couple versions behind.

I'm not completely sold that the router is breaking things, although it's possible, just because from everyone I've heard the XBONE's party, chat, and invite system is completely broken and unstable at best.

As far as connecting to each others games, whats the signal like from the other XBONE to the router (wireless)?

Check the NAT settings detected by both Xbox One devices in the Xbox's Settings / Network menu. After you run a network test (multiplayer test) press all four shoulder buttons on the controller to force a complete scan. My guess is that both of your consoles are either Moderate or Strict. What happens to a lot of people is that one Xbox reports NAT open, while the other reports strict.

The XB1 is very finicky when it comes to port mappings. What I would recommend is seeing if your router has configuration settings for "Static DHCP". This allows you to keep DHCP + uPnP enabled. If you look up some guides online you may be able to find a guide that teaches you how to do it. Essentially you'd be listing your MAC addresses in the Static DHCP table. That way you won't have to worry about the uPnP functionality breaking once your DHCP lease expires.

Here's a rundown on the Xbox One network settings and NAT:
http://support.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-one/networking/network-settings

Here's a blog that talks about getting multiple Xbox Ones running together on a single network, but using 3rd party aftermarket firmware:
https://jakebillo.com/two-xboxes-one-router-making-upnp-work-using-dd-wrt-or-tomato/

I'm pretty sure your router supports Tomato and DD-WRT, but if your original post is accurate you're probably using the factory default Asus firmware on your router. Dig around and see if you can find some information. This post should help you get back on track.

I did the complete scan, both Xbox Ones say NAT type open , under detailed nat information both say Your network is behind a cone NAT

I then tried listing both our MAC addresses in the static DHCP table with no change in results.

Still looking into Tomato and DD-WRT thanks for the info.

Back