2 Worlds 2 vs Risen vs Gothica 4

Climber

Supreme [H]ardness
So as the title says, any good recommendations between these 3? I have Risen already but it is getting ridculously hard so was thinking of something similar so I can take a break from it. But is it worth the cost to grab either 2 worlds 2 or gothica over Risen?

Two Worlds Two has the most amazing magic system I've ever seen in an RPG - the engine, which is new, is damned beautiful, as well as highly optimized. But whatever you do, don't buy it now, because in just a couple of days it's going on sale at D2D as a part of their Spring sale. And that's why I'm recommending it.

Well, there's a demo for Gothic 4. Probably worth trying out. I haven't played Two Worlds 2, but I've been hearing some good things.

I enjoyed all three. I liked Risen and Gothic 4 better than Two Worlds 2.

I had a tough time with Risen too, mostly early on. Pretty good RPG imo, hopefully Risen 2 will be even betta!

Two Worlds 2 is going on sale for $25 on 4/30 at Direct2Drive. I might pick it up at that price.

I've played TW2 and Risen extensively, haven't played Gothic 4 that much.

TW2 would be my choice, but JUST by a hair. Risen is also a fantastic game. If you have any extra consideration left over, Divinity 2: DKS

Last edited:
Gothic 4 is a BIG NONO...

There is a reason why that game's price been dropping like crazy....

I haven't played any of the games except Risen but I will say that it's a fantastic game and I'd personally advise you to stick with it. If you feel it is getting hard at some place, leave that area and go to level up somewhere else and then return later.

Risen was an awesome game. I enjoyed it as much as I did DA: Origins

I haven't finished Risen yet, but I did finish Gothic 4: Arcania. I really enjoyed Arcania from start to finish. It was difficult to put down. They are rather similar in mechanics.

I think Risen is probably the better game of the two, but it wasn't difficult for me to put down like Arcania was. So maybe I did enjoy Arcania better...

None of them.

Risen - the "freedom" promised in game is a lie. Last few acts are linear, no matter on the side and class you will choose. Same quests, same tasks, same fights

Gothic 4 - it's even worse then Gothic 3, nuff said

TW2 - very bad single player campaign, plot is worse then in generic fantasy games, seems like half of the content has been cut out delibertely to make the DLC, and the boss fight is just worse then in Risen.

played all 3.
finished gothic 4 and risen.
1/3 through two worlds.

gothic 4 is the easiest, most streamline- it's very much a console action rpg

two world two- is a bit longer, the magic is interesting, less streamline than gothic 4, and more of an rpg.

Two Worlds 2 is going on sale for $25 on 4/30 at Direct2Drive. I might pick it up at that price.

That is one of the reasons I was asking. I'm going to grab it and give it a whirl, was hoping seeing Gothic 4 on sale sometime as well, but hopefully 2 Worlds will tide me over till the Witcher 2.

Gothic is ok at best if you can get by the starting area. and it has some of the worst voice acting I have ever heard. combat is just mash your mouse button till they are dead, and almost all the the female characters are the same model. Risen was fun if a bit small, if a bit small, it does have decent length though. two worlds 2 I was suppressed that I actual liked. The maps are huge, the story line is ok, melee and bow combat is not too bad though it is a bit mashy at times, and magic has a rather complex make your own spell system. the only thing I truly hated about it was your Acton bar had, if I ember correctly) only 4 buttons, this had you constantly pulling up your inventory swapping stuff out, which got annoying when you were getting attacked.

Risen - the "freedom" promised in game is a lie. Last few acts are linear, no matter on the side and class you will choose. Same quests, same tasks, same fights

To be fair, those are the last 5-8 hours of a 40 hour game. I'm not saying you're wrong, and it is one of Risen's failings, but the first 30 hours are absolutely fantastic and make the experience worthwhile IMO.

Arcania...I don't even call it a Gothic game...it's mediocre at best. I still can't believe I saw one person around here calling it their overall GOTY last year. I just can't wrap my brain around that concept. Gothic 3 with all the latest fan patches and such is a considerably deeper and better game than Arcania is.

Risen is my personal favorite of the whole bunch as far as what the OP is asking for, lumps and all, and after that Two Worlds II. In a lot of ways, I view Risen as more "Gothic 4" than Arcania could ever dream of being.

I can't wait for Risen 2.

Arcania...I don't even call it a Gothic game...it's mediocre at best. I still can't believe I saw one person around here calling it their overall GOTY last year. I just can't wrap my brain around that concept. Gothic 3 with all the latest fan patches and such is a considerably deeper and better game than Arcania is.

Risen is my personal favorite of the whole bunch as far as what the OP is asking for, lumps and all, and after that Two Worlds II. In a lot of ways, I view Risen as more "Gothic 4" than Arcania could ever dream of being.

I can't wait for Risen 2.

Exactly how I feel. Hell, I even suggest Gothic 2 or 3 (fully Cpatched, mind you) over just about anything mentioned here. I put Risen above Gothic 3 when it comes to combat and polish, but Gothic 3 is an extremely massive RPG that easily puts the spanking on ArcaniA.

Exactly how I feel. Hell, I even suggest Gothic 2 or 3 (fully Cpatched, mind you) over just about anything mentioned here. I put Risen above Gothic 3 when it comes to combat and polish, but Gothic 3 is an extremely massive RPG that easily puts the spanking on ArcaniA.

Precisely.

Are you using some sort of mind reading device over the Internet directed at me? ;)

The problem with Gothic 3... stutter, stutter... is that although it's a very good RPG... stutter... and this is especially true of the game once you've installed the... stutter, stutter... community patch... stutter... there's an issue with the engine that just drives you to distraction... stutter, stutter, stutter... it is indeed so bad that on three seperate occasions I've reinstalled the game, thinking that maybe the issue wasn't as bad as I thought... stutter, stutter, stutter, stutter... but it was.

I'll take a game that works over one that... stutter, stutter... doesn't any day of the week.

Precisely.

Are you using some sort of mind reading device over the Internet directed at me? ;)

I just remember searching the desert ruins in Gothic 3 for tablets and artifacts, not knowing if some crazy sandcrawler horde or lich train was going to jump me at any moment.

I just remember searching the desert ruins in Gothic 3 for tablets and artifacts, not knowing if some crazy sandcrawler horde or lich train was going to jump me at any moment.

That game is so huge.

That game is so huge.
replayed it recently, I am still finding new locations I never visited. in fact I found an empty underwater series of caverns, looks like the devs forgot to populate it.

Back