2 win2k computers wont play with the winXP computer.

Jr3ID

Weaksauce
3 computers
- 1 Windows XP
- 2 Windows 2000 professional

1 16port netgear switch

1 Cable modem

i got the 3 computers into the switch along with the cable modem with two print servers that aren't hooked up yet

the 1 XP computer can get the internet and can't see the 2 win2k computers, the two win2k computers can see each other and can't get on the internet.

Also a 2nd part question, can a D-Link router talk to a netgear switch?, cuz i might just run the 3 computers off the d-link that can be plugged into the switch.

Jr3ID said:
3 computers
- 1 Windows XP
- 2 Windows 2000 professional

1 16port netgear switch

1 Cable modem

i got the 3 computers into the switch along with the cable modem with two print servers that aren't hooked up yet

the 1 XP computer can get the internet and can't see the 2 win2k computers, the two win2k computers can see each other and can't get on the internet.

Also a 2nd part question, can a D-Link router talk to a netgear switch?, cuz i might just run the 3 computers off the d-link that can be plugged into the switch.

How are the machines getting their IP addys?? You assigning them manually or is the router doing it?

Also, brands don't matter in this case....

QJ

Wow, where to begin.....

1. Cable modem into a switch will NOT let multiple computers connect to the internet. You either have to pay your ISP more money for two more IP addresses (you get one with the service and need two more for the two 2K machines) or plug your DSL/Cable modem into a router, then plug all three computers into the router if you want all three of them to get internet access.
a. If you're trying to do Internet connection sharing on one of the computers, then that computer MUST have two network cards. Card 1 goes to the modem, Card 2 goes to the switch. Follow the wizard and make sure you specify Card 1 as your internet SOURCE and Card 2 as your internal network. This is best done on the XP machine.

2. Is the XP Firewall enabled? It's probably blocking the 2K machines from seeing it. You'll either need to disable it or reconfigure it to allow the 2K machines to see it.

3. They all need to be on the same workgroup to make things easier on yourself.

4. Yes, a D-link router would talk to a NetGear switch, provided you connect them right. The router should be what your cable modem is plugged into, on the WAN port. EVERYTHING else will plug into the LAN ports on the D-link, including the Netgear switch.

CAVEAT: If the Netgear switch does not have an Uplink port, then you will need a Cross-over cable (Read: an ethernet cable designed to plug two PCs together. This is NOT a standard cable you can pick up at Wally World) to connect the Netgear to the Dlink LAN ports. If the Netgear does have a port labeled as Uplink, then you would plug a regular network cable from it to one of the router's LAN ports.

ok sorry for the confusion, the computers and modem ARE ran into the dlink router haha. I was assuming the WAN port was on the right side of the router which it is on the left side so now that they are plugged in correctly all the computers are playing happily together now.

my next problem is i also have 2 PS110 netgear parallel port print servers.

i have those going into the switch as well, I can add the printers on each computer with the software etc..... all the computers see the printer in its correct location and everything. When i go to actually print a document, it wont print. the print manager software comes up and displays that it is printing and it just sits there and does nothing.

if you need more info, ill post again in a few hours

Check the logs of the print servers. You should be able to login to them via their IP address through Internet Explorer to view the status.

Better yet, cancel any print jobs and do a test page from the print server first to make sure it's communicating properly with the printer. I don't know about NetGears but HP Jet Direct boxes have a Test Page button that when held will print out a test that will show the IP address of the print server.

The print servers may also need a firmware update, it's not out of the realm of posibilities.

the ps110's i believe do have a firmware update that i noticed through netgears forum.

the test page fails to print
everything else is fine, the computers see the printer/s and everything at their correct locations, the printer loaded fine on each computer and everything but just fails to print. i havn't checked the firewall settings on the XP computer and havn't looked into the firmware update but i hope that fixes the problem.

The test page from Windows, or the test page from the print server itself?

Forget the Windows Test page, it's useless in troubleshooting this problem for the moment.
If the print server's test page fails to print, then it's either not compatable with your printer or you need a firmware update.

both didn't work

im gonna try the firmware update and turn off the firewall and if that doesn't fix it ill be back

The firewall won't have any affect on it.

Since the test page from the Print server to the printer didn't work, there's your problem. It's not in your network.

Update the firmware, power the printer off and on and do another test print from the print server only. If it still doesn't print, either you have a bad printer, cable the printer is connected with, or they're not compatable with the Print server.

yea it didn't seem the network was the problem because all the computers could see the printer i plugged in no problem, the printer was added to every computer with no problem, it was in the correct location on the network, through the switch and printserver, none of that was out of place, but actually going and printing a document, it wouldn't do.

the printer cable is fine because i just hooked it back up directly to the computer when i couldn't get it to work through the print server, its listed on netgears compatible list of printers for the server, the one i was trying was an old Epson LQ570 dotmatrix printer

i FINALLY got everything to work

3 computers
2 - win2k
1 - winxp
1 dlink router
1 cable modem
2 netgear printservers
1 netgear 16port switch

the cable modem is plugged into the router
the router is in first port of the switch
3 computers are into the switch
2 print servers are into the switch

i started over from scratch today since all this is at my job, a business that has around 100 customers a day come through, i had no distractions, deleted all software unhooked all equipment, restarted computers from scratch like nothing ever happend.

did the correct steps with no interruptions of installation of all the equipment. FINALLY got all the computers to print to the one dotmatrix i hooked up without a problem everything works

now i need to add two more printers tomorrow and in the future 3 more computers and possibly two or 3 more printers.

yay :rolleyes:

Back