2 Strange Domain Issues: Net View and Find Printers... related?

Punkrulz

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys,

Originally I was going to make a post based on one of the issues we are experiencing, which is a net view problem. Net View to me is a great tool because it allows me to see all of the computers on the domain in one shot, in case I wasn't sure who uses what computer and so forth (Computers are physically named by department_serial#... not user). We have two off-site locations which are connected via static VPN to this building, and are members of the domain.

Recently, within the past week (no known changes have been made), the computers at those two sites are not showing up in the net view. I can still connect to them via RDP and everything, but I just don't see the listing in net view. What controls that listing and what could possibly happen?

A possibly related issue: I was on my bosses laptop today whom I believe is joined to the domain. If he is joined to the domain, I was attempting to find the plethora of network printers we have on the servers... however none were showing up. What would also cause that?

Thanks!

Does anyone happen to have any input on the Net view issue? This is something I am revisiting in force right now. I found it strange that computers on this side of the domain can't see the computers on another site connected by VPN... but the computers on that other site are able to see computers here in Net View...

What controls that? Would our firewall have anything to do with that? Are there any particular things that I can check in order to further troubleshoot this? I don't recall anything really changing, so why would these display on net view one day and not the next?

Are they all in the same subnet?

It sounds like a master browser issue. Check the master browser (usually the PDC) with support tool browstat.

They are in the same subnet, however they are utilizing a different ip address range. For the primary site we're using a class A IP scheme with a class C subnet. For the remote sites, we're using a class C IP scheme with a class C subnet.

Back