• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2-stage upgrade

Joined
May 5, 2002
Messages
47
I am getting ready to upgrade my entire system in 2 stages. One stage being video card, the other being mobo-proc-memory. My current system is this: Athlon 2200+ 1gb DDR-266 and a G-Force TI-4200 with 256mb of ram

I am going to eventually be upgrading to an Athlon 64 3500 and 1gb of ram and also will be getting either a G-Force 6800 GT or Ultra.

My question is this, which step should I upgrade first? Obviously, both will make a significant difference, but which will improve my short-term gaming the best? I think there will probably be 1-2 months between the 2 upgrades.

Thanks

<edit>
Also, I don't plan to over-clock anything
</edit>
 
Your decision really depends on wether you want downtime or have spare parts. If you upgrade mobo/proc/ram first you have to get a agp mobo instead of a pcie. If you upgrade vid card first your stuck with a agp mobo. Why not consider saving and buying all at once?
 
I haven't seen any really compelling evidence to immediately switch over to AGP, although I suppose you are correct. I know the current AGP cards aren't really even using all of the bandwidth available to them, so the only real advantage that I have heard of is bi-directional bandwidth, which for gaming isn't particularly necessary, correct?
 
I have yet to see a compelling difference on the two but in the long run a pci e card will probably benefit you. If you upgrade a few yrs from now and want to keep the vid card you buy now you will be limited to older boards. This is all assuming that pci e will wipe out agp all together which at its current pace it will.
 
I think that is prolly right... making the change to pci-e will likely give you the best long term benefits... but then again, you can get a much better deal on a 6800U AGP (than pci-e) and then perhaps put a barton 3200 in your mobo (OC it a little) and stay pretty current with performance that way... I only say this because taking the pci-e plunge means a whole new mobo, cpu, and video card at the same time... which can hurt... ouch!

I have an xp2600 system with a 6800GT AGP which gets 5800's on 3Dmark05 and 11800's on 3Dmark03... not too shabby for that setup I do think. :)

Well, good luck with your upgrades!
 
revenant said:
I think that is prolly right... making the change to pci-e will likely give you the best long term benefits... but then again, you can get a much better deal on a 6800U AGP (than pci-e) and then perhaps put a barton 3200 in your mobo (OC it a little) and stay pretty current with performance that way... I only say this because taking the pci-e plunge means a whole new mobo, cpu, and video card at the same time... which can hurt... ouch!

I have an xp2600 system with a 6800GT AGP which gets 5800's on 3Dmark05 and 11800's on 3Dmark03... not too shabby for that setup I do think. :)

Well, good luck with your upgrades!

Thanks everyone for the advice, but I think I will do this in a two stage upgrade. I haven't done any upgrades in a long time, so I am starting to get a little excited :-D
 
go pci-e just to have assurance cause you not upgrading for for 2 to 4 years having pci-e will assure you will not have to upgrade board for 2 to 4 years. :)
 
I have been doing some searching and have found a couple motherboards that support both AGP and PCI express. Anyone heard any other information? Perhaps that is the best way to go.
 
Back
Top