2 SATA HD's how many page files?

Iridium

n00b
After a reading of ARP's "Virtual Memory Optimization Guide" I have a question about the advantages or disadvantages of 2 permanent and contiguous paging files on 2 seperate HDs.

I understand from my interpretation that 2 permanent and contiguous pagefiles on seperate HDs would be better than 1 if you had 3 HDs. But what I am asking is do I want to only have only 1 pagefile on the first partition of my secondary SATA HD and leave the Primary HD without a paging file so the OS has access to the outter tracks. Here is the page where I am finding difficulty in interpreting what would be best to do in my situation. I am thinking that I will want to have the pagefile on the secondary drive, but I don't have enough experience myself to know if this is correct or not.

I guess it should be mentioned also that my primary OS drive is a 74g Raptor and my secondary would be a 40g Caviar.

There really isn't a 'one size fits all' solution to paging files. Ideally you'd have your pagefile on a separate drive and controller for optimal performance. On one controller, putting it on a drive that is separate from where your OS and Apps reside can still be benefitial.

How much RAM do you have, and how much memory is your system using? See the sticky at the top of this forum to figure out your size.

If you have more RAM than memory requirements the PF isn't being used that much in the first place...

I edited the above message to include a link to Adrian's RojackPot article on the setup of pagefiles. I find it to be a very comprehensive and extremely thorough guide. I just wanted a tiny bit more clarification.

P4 3.2C Northwood @3.52 @1.6V
Abit IC7-G BIOS Ver. 27
1GB Corsair XMS XL Pro @ 2.5/3/2/6 1:1 220fsb
Thermalright SLK-900U W/Evercool 92mm Aluminum
XFX 6600GT @ 585/1175W/Stock Cooling
WD Raptor 74gb
Ultra X-Connect 500W

Sorry, I thought I had made a sig in this forum. Those are my system specs.

Back