2 SATA drives with windows, Boot Problems

Swordfish45

Limp Gawd
Hey, i have a friend's sata drive what he wanted me to clean of some spyware, so i put it in the second sata port on my computer. So that leaves me with 2 Sata drives, both have windows installed. When i try to boot, i get NTDLR not found, or INNACESSABLE BOOT DEVICE depending on the cable configuration or hard drive order. sometimes, the computer does boot to his hard drive. I want it to boot to mine, and use his drive as a slave.

How would i do this?

Yours is connected to SATA1 and his is in SATA2, correct? You might need to use jumpers on the drives, although they typically don't matter. Also make sure BIOS knows to boot from yours and maybe you can disable the other boot device options.

The BIOS probably just changed the boot order when you installed the other drive, but even so, if both have Windows on them it's interesting you got that error.

The computer IS booting off the second hard drive. As it is, the Windows installation on that hard drive was done on a motherboard with a different hard drive controller in the chipset than the one on your board. you will always get inaccessable boot device doing that - make sure as tuskenraider said - that the BIOS is set to boot from the one particular HDD that you had in before (yours). As for the spyware - I'd run an antivirus scan but you are best off running AdAware and Spybot etc... on his computer with his hard drive in it.

G.

Back