2 routers 2 subnets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soarin

2[H]4U
gjdUvH3.png

That's what I have. Both routers have DHCP on right now. I do not want DHCP on the Router 1 because I assign the addresses myself. Router 2 I want DHCP to run because all guests connect to it. Router 1 currently runs wireless and every device connected gets an address from me. Router 2 has a static IP from Router 1 and should be handling all DHCP requests from user connecting to it. I tried to disable DHCP on router 1 and it messed up router 2 some how.

The reason for the dual routers is to extend the wireless in the house. Router 2 is connected via the WAN port to Router 1 LAN 4.

Why use the routing function on #2 at all? Just make it an access point and disable DHCP on it. If you actually need a guest network for some reason, get something that natively supports it.

I am not the one buying the gear here, I just set it up. I keep the thing routing because then I can easily control what is sent through the second router and take some load off router 1 for things. Like on sunday nights when the owner of the home wants to stream her show online, I can go in and disable the wireless from the second router.

EDIT: I did try that and when doing so I lost the ability to configure Router 2 via web access

I am not the one buying the gear here, I just set it up. I keep the thing routing because then I can easily control what is sent through the second router and take some load off router 1 for things. Like on sunday nights when the owner of the home wants to stream her show online, I can go in and disable the wireless from the second router.

EDIT: I did try that and when doing so I lost the ability to configure Router 2 via web access

Tell her to hire someone qualified? You want her to have to contact someone so she can stream Netflix?

Little harsh.. but anyways..resetting to factory defaults again and going slower has eliminated the issue with DHCP on router 1. Not sure why you are making it a personal attack, I never asked for anything but info on what I have not buying other devices. I already know that it isn't the best/proper way to do this but it is what I am given to go with.

Got it figured out, answered my own question so thread was not needed. Stepped back and looked it over again. Closing thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back