2 rdp connections for soho

ghopke

n00b
I have a little favor to do for a friend. They have a small business with business class RR. Linksys router. They have 1 pc set up with XP Pro so the owner can remote in from his xp pro box at home and work using RDP. Port forwarding through Linksys. Now the manager wants to do the same. He ordered 2 new pc's with xp pro. I guess I get lost at this point. The way it is set up now is that any rdp request will be forwarded to the owners pc on the Lan. Is there anyway to have 2 serprate RDP connectionc running at the same time? If so, how the heck can it be set up? I appreciate your help.

Greg

Step 1. Changing the port RDP listens on:

Start Registry Editor.
Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber

On the Edit menu, click Modify, and then click Decimal.
Type the new port number, and then click OK.
Quit Registry Editor.

Step 2. Changing the port on the client when you try to connect:

Click Start, click All Programs, point to Accessories, point to Communications, and then click Remote Desktop Connection.
In the Computer box, type the computer name or the IP address of the computer that you want to connect to, followed by a colon :)) and the port number that you want to use.

For example, to connect to port 3390 on a computer that is named "MyXPPro," type the following information:
MyXPPro:3390

To connect to port 3391 on a computer with IP address 10.10.10.1, type the following information:
10.10.10.1:3391

Click Connect.

Of course you'll have to port forward on the router with whatever port you choose to run RD on the second/third/fourth etc... machine.

Why would you need more input? That's the answer!

Change the port that each of the 2 new clients use for remote desktop.

Might want to make sure they use strong passwords ;) Port 3390 is regularly scanned and attacked by hackers. On any given day I can see 15-20 scans for that port on our IP addresses at work.

Thats the only way for RDP unless you want to go with Small Business Server 2003's Remote Web Workplace. Pretty sweet stuff. Do a bit of homework, if they really like the remoting in thing then they will love that.

Anyone else have any more input?

What do you want, someone to volunteer to come over and do it for you? What exactly are you having a hard time with on the......walkthrough? Hard to imagine someone with any computer experience at all couldn't follow those instructions.

I was looking for more input like these

Might want to make sure they use strong passwords Port 3390 is regularly scanned and attacked by hackers. On any given day I can see 15-20 scans for that port on our IP addresses at work.

or

Thats the only way for RDP unless you want to go with Small Business Server 2003's Remote Web Workplace. Pretty sweet stuff. Do a bit of homework, if they really like the remoting in thing then they will love that.

not

What do you want, someone to volunteer to come over and do it for you? What exactly are you having a hard time with on the......walkthrough? Hard to imagine someone with any computer experience at all couldn't follow those instructions.

But thanks for the bump. It always amazes my when people post such useless, condescending posts towards others. You dont know me. I can follow the instructions. If you want to volunteer I would be more than happy to have you come along. Just bring your girl :D

I guess I thought asking if anyone else had any more input wasnt a big deal. I was looking for answers like the 2 I pointed out.

I didnt try to offend you, I was just looking for others to respond. Thats whats great about forums. Many different prople with different ideas.

Too bad. I definitely did not want to post my original comment after thinking about it for a few seconds. Very high school. Not sure what your deal is fella. You got your answer and instead of saying thank you you asked for more information, non specific. My response to your second question about input was coarse and probably inappropriate, as was yours.

For those wondering wtf this guy is talking about I knee jerked a rebuttal response, then thought better and edited it a couple of minutes later.
"Your girl has gay friends because you just dont do it for her,"

Read that a few times ghopke. Enough with the freshman bullshit.

Back