2 RAM Scenarios, what are the strengths/weaknesses?

fr0th

n00b
Setup 1 Dual Channel Interleaved:
Slot 1: 1GB
Slot 2: Nothing

Slot 3: 512MB
Slot 4: 512MB

Setup 2 Dual Channel Interleaved:
Slot 1: 1GB
Slot 2: Nothing

Slot 3: 1GB
Slot 4: Nothing

Right now I have the first setup and I'm wondering if its worth investing in 1 stick of 1GB. All of the ram is the same manufacturer and speed (G.Skill DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 timings.)

Does the second setup use the ram more efficiently? Are there overclocking issues using 2 sticks in the second channel like in first setup?

Thanks.

Im guessing only the 1GB stick and one of the 512 sticks are running dual channel, and the other 512 stick is running single. I would go with two 1GB sticks in dual channel.

I don't know if it would be better to dual channel the 512 sticks and let the 1 GB run by itself or not. Actually, I'm not sure if it is either all dual or all single - anyone know? Seems like it would be too complicated for two sticks to be running dual channel while a third stick was running single channel.

However, RAM is so cheap now it's probably worth investing in a 1 GB stick (or a 2 x 1 kit and sell the others).

During my post test it does say Dual Channel Interleaved, so I assumed all sticks of ram were cooperating.

Back