2 Questions: DoubleSight DS-245W and buying from Provantage

Phrozt

Weaksauce
Actually three questions. As a quick precursor to the first real question: DoubleSight as a company; Good or bad?

Now on to the first question: DoubleSight DS-245W; Good or Bad? Looks fairly good from what I've been looking up, and from information supplied by others, but I'm still looking for more input. Apparently it is said to have the same panel as the 2407WFP ( http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1196208595 ), but looks like it might be slightly improved. As I mentioned on that thread, I'm primarily interested in gaming, but will do quite a bit of photo/movie editing (just had a kid, so tons of pictures taken by an amateur that will need correcting).

Second question: Buying from Provantage (specifically buying LCDs); Good or Bad? Their "No Return" policy scares me.... I'm looking for people who've actually dealt w/them and can tell me if it's ok or if I should stay away.

Thanks!

I looked at it at Overstock.com with the 20% (max $50) paypal discount, but couldn't bring myself to buy it because the brightness is 500cd/m^2 and there no information available if the backlight can be dimmed down or if it has a wide gamut panel. I've currently got my eye on the Samsung 245T (costs more, but has a lot more features).

Oh what the heck... I couldn't help myself and bought one from Overstock.com. :eek: You can get $45 off with coupon code 73989 which makes it $453.99 with free shipping and no tax. If you pay with paypal you can get $50 back through the current 20% promotion, and there's a $30 rebate also. That makes it $373.99 plus the cost of a stamp. :eek:

This is great. If you have some time later, please let us know what you think. I've found very little info on this display.

I almost picked it up but I am not much of a fan on their dead pixel policy (I know its pretty standard among manufacturers but I prefer one that will be flexible or even better have a zero dead pixel policy)

Doublesights is 4 in the center or 8 around the outer edge....although when finding this info out I was able to get straight through to someone at tech support without any hold times or even an automated menu which scores them points in my book....

this little jewel of a monitor seems to be one of those that no one wants to buy due to the a.) lack of reviews and b.) not a common name brand.

hope to hear from you on this stereodude; hopefully you'll be able to provide feedback on gaming (ghosting/banding/lag), color accuracy (photo editing/movie editing), and overall goodness from normal day to day tasks.

look forward to it. :)

I almost picked it up but I am not much of a fan on their dead pixel policy (I know its pretty standard among manufacturers but I prefer one that will be flexible or even better have a zero dead pixel policy)

Doublesights is 4 in the center or 8 around the outer edge....although when finding this info out I was able to get straight through to someone at tech support without any hold times or even an automated menu which scores them points in my book....
The reviewers of it them Newegg seem to have gotten them either without any dead/stuck pixels, or at most just one, so I'm not real worried about that. My Dell FP2000 has 1 stuck green pixel on the side, but I very rarely notice it.

this little jewel of a monitor seems to be one of those that no one wants to buy due to the a.) lack of reviews and b.) not a common name brand.

hope to hear from you on this stereodude; hopefully you'll be able to provide feedback on gaming (ghosting/banding/lag), color accuracy (photo editing/movie editing), and overall goodness from normal day to day tasks.

look forward to it. :)
I'll be happy to post my comments / feedback and run some tests. I won't be able to offer any gaming comments since I don't play games, but I'm quite picky about image quality. I've been very impressed with the Samsung S-PVA panels I've seen at SID and other trade shows. Hopefully this one does the same.

excellent.. yeah the few reviewers on newegg seem to like it save for the crazy heat it puts off for being an lcd.

Oh what the heck... I couldn't help myself and bought one from Overstock.com. :eek: You can get $45 off with coupon code 73989 which makes it $453.99 with free shipping and no tax. If you pay with paypal you can get $50 back through the current 20% promotion, and there's a $30 rebate also. That makes it $373.99 plus the cost of a stamp. :eek:

Oh wow... I bought it through provantage and thought I was getting a good rate :/.

with shipping it was $462.84, and then w/the coupon it will be $432.84 when all said and done. You still beat me by $60!! Lol.

Nice part is, they have a location right by where I live, so even though I ordered it in the afternoon yesterday, I'll get it today! :)

EDIT: as for doublesight as a company. I also called them (both their sales and tech support) and got through to a real person in very little time. Thing is, they couldn't actually help me w/my question. I wanted to know what type of panel they use in the monitor, but neither sales nor tech knew the answer (they use a Samsung S-PVA LTM240M2 btw).

Phrozt, will you be able to test your new panel with some FPS type games to see how the lag/ghosting is? should also be able to test flickers and banding issues too with gaming i woudl think. anyway, let us know how you like it! we need real world reviews from the [h] peeps, stat!

Phrozt, will you be able to test your new panel with some FPS type games to see how the lag/ghosting is? should also be able to test flickers and banding issues too with gaming i woudl think. anyway, let us know how you like it! we need real world reviews from the [h] peeps, stat!

pssshhh.. you know it! I play TF2 like crazy. I think I'm phrozt on the TF2 stats... look for my sig:
phozt.icon.jpg

I'll also be playing WoW. I have a host of other games that I can test as well though, including CS:S, DOD:S, BF2124 (which doesn't work right now because of some EA bug), Bioshock, and HG:L. I also have a lot of older games if you want me to look at those...

I got my DoubleSight DS-245W today.

It looks like it has 1 stuck green pixel. I used it for a few minutes from my Dell notebook via analog (not so impressive as the black level from the notebook was not mapping to black on the monitor), and via DVI from my HTPC where it looked very good. My primary desktop is not currently setup and running (I just moved) so I haven't had a lot of time to evaluate it. So far though I am very happy with what I've seen from it via DVI.

The reviewers of it them Newegg seem to have gotten them either without any dead/stuck pixels, or at most just one, so I'm not real worried about that. My Dell FP2000 has 1 stuck green pixel on the side, but I very rarely notice it.
yeah but I am crazy....I hate any screen defects period...

There are a few places that test, but I think it's an extra fee (I don't know of any places off hand).

I got 2 dead pixels on mine... but with resolution like 1920x1200, it's not very noticeable. Reading some web pages it is, but I've never noticed it in games.

I wanted to clarify that my DS-245W doesn't exactly have a stuck pixel. It's just a really slow pixel. If I put up a black screen it will fade out to black maybe 15 seconds. That's the first time I've seen a "slow" pixel before. Either way I don't notice it during normal PC use. :eek:

I just bought one from Overstock.com. $499-10% off for new customers, + free shipping. And then -$30 rebate drops it to ~$420.

BTW, the rebate is available for everyone. There's no stipulation on who you buy from. Just go to Newegg and download the form there. It's good for all purchases from mid October till the end of December.

I'll report back once I get it, but I'm probably a very unreliable source since I've never used a owned a desktop LCD, and have been using a laptop screen for the past 3 years (which has a good pixel pitch and SXGA+ resolution, but its got a 45% color gamut, 175 cd/mm^2 brightness, and 90 degree horizontal viewing angle, and 65 degree vertical).

Yeah, holy crap am I in for a ride.

Also, Overstock's return policy is really good. 30 day, no restocking fee, refund on shipping (although it was free for me). And I paid with my AMEX card, which gives me another year on top of the factory warranty (where I can return directly to AMEX for a refund). Newegg's policy is kinda crappy for LCDs.

Just got it today. Pretty amazing display. I have 0 dead pixels on mine that I've noticed, although I haven't found any good testing software. Also, any tips for calibration?

The display flickers if you use "reduced DVI frequency on high resolution displays" (or well, at least it did on my Thinkpad T43), so I had to turn it off despite how counterintuitive that seemed. Looks amazing. Viewing angles are great.

I've had mine for a couple of weeks now and have been very satisfied. My only gripe is that there is noticeable backlight bleeding in all four corners of the monitor when the background is all black (does anyone else have this problem?)

Other than that, it has been a great monitor. Nice viewing angles, no ghosting or input lag. And plays well with my 360. I can post pictures if anyone wants me to.

I've had mine for a couple of weeks now and have been very satisfied. My only gripe is that there is noticeable backlight bleeding in all four corners of the monitor when the background is all black (does anyone else have this problem?)

Other than that, it has been a great monitor. Nice viewing angles, no ghosting or input lag. And plays well with my 360. I can post pictures if anyone wants me to.

yes, could you please post some pics? i am interested in this screen

Also, I was not able to find this screen on overstock.com

Am i blind or was it removed?

I have one slightly brighter corner, but it's very slight. The other three corners are the same brightness as the center.

Looks like they're not selling DoubleSight monitors anymore. :(

Loooks like Newegg might have to do :(

Personally im not very scarred of their infamous lcd return policy.

They have a strict return policy for notebooks as well. However last month my friend returned (for cash value) a non-deffective Fujitsu tablet because his screen had a greasy/screen door effect to it. Just got to 'bitch' enough :p

Right now i am trying to decide if the DoubleSight(S-PVA) is worth the extra $$ over the Westinghouse 24(MVA).

Is anyone selling this in the US? No longer stocked at newegg or provantage.
Thanks.

Back