2 Power Connections!!!!

fiberoptik

Limp Gawd
Anyone out there with an Evga 6800gt?? Are there really 2 power hookups? Do they both need to be hooked in or is one a pass through?

There is two. Its a twin molex lead to the power input of the card.
Showimage.asp
Check picture 4.. Do both of those need to be hooked up or is on a pass through?

Is that AGP? The agp bridge doesn't give as much power as PCI-E, so thats why 2 are needed

GTPoompt said:
Is that AGP? The agp bridge doesn't give as much power as PCI-E, so thats why 2 are needed

No..that's not it.

You need to have a Molex from your PSU run into the input molex , then hook that into the card. It's just a splice.

Ah.. ok so the second molex is just a passthrough.. The manual wasn't very clear.. thanks guys. And yes this is the pci version.

fiberoptik said:
Ah.. ok so the second molex is just a passthrough.. The manual wasn't very clear.. thanks guys. And yes this is the pci version.

I wasn't able to check out the link, but it looks like there is some confusion here...

if it is a 6800GT PCI-E you WILL need two molexes on seperate lines to power the card (same thing with the ultra).
If you were runnign SLI you would need four molexes...

Unless, your PSU PCI-E 6 pin power connectors...

Plug the PCI-Express cable into the card, then plug two Molex connector from your PSU into the PCI-Express cable Molex connectors

yes, both are supposed to be hooked up

if it is a passthrough one would be female, but if they are both male, then plug two connectors from your psu into it, it can be from the same line

Brent_Justice said:
if it is a passthrough one would be female, but if they are both male, then plug two connectors from your psu into it, it can be from the same line

In my installation manuals, they state that the Molexes need ot be fomr seperate lines.

It would be really intersting to see if there is an increase in overclockability if using NON shared lines...

Both of my 6800GT's overclocked about 10-15mhz more on the core and 80-100mhz more on the Ram when running individually with two CLEAN unshared molexes. However, I am unable to determine the true cause of my SLI's decreased overclock (even though both boards can clock higher individually) It might not be because of sharing the molex lines, it could be that the 12v rail is just being used to heavily or maybe having them in LSI adds new points of failure (i.e the interconnect).

My point is: I would recommend to try to have each molex on it's own line, but it is almost impossible to do when running dual cards (unless you have dual PSU's)

My 2 pennies:

I think the lack of higher OC's when in SLI mode is related to the communication needed between the cards. I'm not positive on that but it is my guess. I am using a Enermax 650W (peak) PSU and I think that should provide more than enough power.... its even got the dual PCIE power plugs. I'm still tweaking but so far I seem to be limited to 435/1175 (IIRC) when in SLI mode. I think in non-SLI mode it would reach 445/1200.

Solutions said:
My 2 pennies:

I think the lack of higher OC's when in SLI mode is related to the communication needed between the cards. I'm not positive on that but it is my guess. I am using a Enermax 650W (peak) PSU and I think that should provide more than enough power.... its even got the dual PCIE power plugs. I'm still tweaking but so far I seem to be limited to 435/1175 (IIRC) when in SLI mode. I think in non-SLI mode it would reach 445/1200.

did you test both cards individually?

evga 6800 gt's have one...at leasst the earlier revs did
there was a soldering point for the second one on the PCB, presumably for the ultra versions

I have the 6800 ultra and it comes with two power cables but i only use one and im getting 140 fps in css. So it works for me.

Back