2 Post Relay Rack Hold Servers?

outbreakm

Weaksauce
Can a 2 post realy rack hold a 1u dell server that is 21" in depth? Would it be to much weight for the front brackets to hold the server?

HMMM I wonder if I put a rackmount shelf under it if that would help support the weight

I know Dell used to sell the two-post relay rack server brackets. Do they still sell those? They would basically center the server front to back in the rack so it wouldn't stress the front of the brackets.

Or get a shelf..and balance the server in the middle.

Will a com rack hold a server? Yeah.

Is it safe? You'd have a very difficult time making it so. Will have to either bolt to floor or fasten it to the wall with a ladder. And your servers cables will be exposed in the back, server will also be susceptible to bumps.

It also depends on the server and it's rails. Some rackmounts will let you dismount the rack ears and re-mount them along the center line, balancing the unit. If your's doesn't have this option, don't do it. As Steel said, it'll stress the ears and the server will fall eventually.

why ghetto rig it? look on craiglist for a cheap rack.

2 post com tech would need to be like bolted to hte ground, and then csome kind of support for the server.

You can mount a server that way, but it's not a real good idea. I have some 2U servers in my personal 4 post racks that are mounted only using the front brackets, but they're not too heavy. With a 2 post rack you'd have to have it bolted to the floor so it won't tip back, and even then it'll put a lot of stress on the posts.

What you really want is either a 4 post rack, or the brackets that will center the server.

Is it recommended? No. Can it be done? Easily. I have a customer who had a small closet for all their networking and gear. The space is way too small for a full four post rack. They have two servers, one is a 1U and the other is a 4U. Both are on shelves supplied from racksolutions.com and work fine. The base of the rack is bolted into the floor and the top is also secured to the wall for extra support. There is also an APC 3000RM at the very bottom with the mounting tabs set in the mid-mount position.

I do beleive Dell makes 2 post rails. I have seen a few networks with 2 post rails holding servers. I dont recall the site. But if Dell does not make them, they make brackets to make a 2 post act like a 4 post. APC even has 2 post rack rails, those suckers are 150 pounds plus.

why ghetto rig it? look on craiglist for a cheap rack.

2 post com tech would need to be like bolted to hte ground, and then csome kind of support for the server.
I have limited space to work with so I would need a 2 post relay rack.

Back