2-post rack and balance issues?

Psychor

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I'm thinking of investing in a 2 post for my media room to sit along a wall behind the couch. The rack would need to support my AV equipment and some networking hardware of course. ;) I'm thinking of using a tall (6 foot+) version of the rack below so that I could mount a projector on top. The plan would be to place heavier equipment as close to the ground as possible.

floor-racks-quest-sm.jpg

I see a lot of pictures of people with 2 post racks mounted with computers and CRT displays. However, it seems like that would result in an unstable combination - yet it must not because they seem free standing. I'd go with a 4 post to render the issue moot but it'd be a monster and I'd like to avoid it since the rack will be exposed.

Any and all input from those more experienced in this area would be great.

Thanks.

The four holes in the bottom are where the bolts go through to secure it to the floor. Do you want to do that in your living room?

How well do they manage if not bolted into the ground? Is the base of the rack enough to stabilize it? This would go in my AV room and not the living room.

Last edited:
Any 2 post I have seen without it being anchored is extremely dangerous. Bolt it down or go with a 4 post man.

Any 2 post I have seen without it being anchored is extremely dangerous. Bolt it down or go with a 4 post man.

Hammer drill it is then because that's what I'm going to need to anchor it to the concrete below the carpet. :D

Don't forget, many deeper U devices can be mounted in the middle so they're 50/50 balanced, instead of having 95% of them hang out the back.

How well do they manage if not bolted into the ground? Is the base of the rack enough to stabilize it? This would go in my AV room and not the living room.

Well it's like trying to balance a broomstick. You might get it right but a simple breeze can make it all come down.

Bolt it down or get a four post.

IMO this would look terrible in a living room.

Don't forget, many deeper U devices can be mounted in the middle so they're 50/50 balanced, instead of having 95% of them hang out the back.

I did not realize this. Thanks.

IMO this would look terrible in a living room.

Gotcha. You are the second person to mention a living room. The second floor of my house has a living room (e.g., sitting room), dining room and kitchen. The first floor is my den. The rack would go in the den across the room from a 140" 2.35:1 projection screen mounted which is mounted on the wall. It shouldn't make the room look any worse than it already does with that monster. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
mount it on a piece of wood and it should be fine, just don't stick too much stuff on it

There are also a few companies who makes them with weighted bases for free standing.

Damn good tip about the wood.

I have a SUA1500, er weight, perfect for the job. :D

Think I might order the 7' tall version of the one I linked above. We'll see how I manage. I appreciate the input.

We usually order a cantilever base for out 2-post racks. Basically it extends the back portion of the base out to about two feet which makes it much more stable. Of course we usually still bolt them to the floor, but in some cases the customers don't want any holes so we leave them free-standing and they hold up pretty good.

i've got a 2 post rack here at work with alot of AV equipment in it that's actually got a ladder rack mounted to the top of the rack/wall....seems to work like a champ. i dont know if you care how that'd look but it simplifies management if cabling is coming top-down.

edit: like so...

IMG00018-20090904-1014.jpg

IMG00019-20090904-1015.jpg

Last edited:
When we moved and didn't have all of the switches and stuff hooked up I actually leaned it up against the wall because it would have fell over if i didn't

100_1219.jpg

This is my 2 post at home and if i didn't screw it down into the wood it would have fell over no questions.

Back