2 OS'es on 1 HDD win2k and XP dual boot advice ....please =]

the lone gunman

Limp Gawd
ok i ran the windows xp install and when it came to the "select a partition" to install winxp on i selected the option to create a new partition (this is on my maxtor 80GB) so i created a 40GB partition to install XP .... fine no problems. installed got to a desktop.

then i put in my win2k cd and started the intall..... it went through its prossess of checking hardware ect... then gave me the option of installing win2k on the unallicated disk space (the extra 40BG) on the 80GB maxtor so i click enter.

however my problem is whilst intalling i noticed that win2k has the drive letter E: as apposed to C: which is what exspected? i know winxp is on C: but i assume that because the is a NEW partition win2k would be installed on its own area so when i boot my computer the bios will ask me wich OS i want to load? (because both will be on a C: drive?)

i am actualy still going through the install of 2k right now so any advice about weather i have fucked up the install i.e a dual boot configuration then please let me know ASAP =]

i am actualy still going through the install of 2k right now so any advice about weather i have fucked up the install i.e a dual boot configuration then please let me know ASAP =]

Yep, you fucked up:)

When configuring a dual boot setup on the same hd, you MUST install the older (legacy) os first.
It's not that big a deal, just start over, and install 2k first, then XP, and you'll be fine.

UPDATE:

ok both OS'es are installed and when i reboot the computer i get the option to ether boot winxp or win2k, however when i click boot win2k it boots to that OS with no problems, but when i click boot winxp it says: windows200 could not start because of the following problems /WINDOWS/SYTEM32/CONFIG/SYTEMd/... can i not boot winxp now even though its on my HD (the other 40GB)

ok i have calmed down now... so does win2k (the os i need to install 1st) have the feature to create partitions like winxp does? im not sure of this as xp was the 1st os i installed and thats the one that gave me the option, will win2k do the same?

ok YES win2k DOES give you the option to create new partitions.... so looks like im in for a very long wait to re-install both OS'es

sigh:rolleyes:

If I remember correctly, yes it will, but if not, you can use GParted to set up your partitions first. It's a *nix LiveCD, and yes, it works with ntfs, no problem.

If I remember correctly, yes it will, but if not, you can use GParted to set up your partitions first. It's a *nix LiveCD, and yes, it works with ntfs, no problem.

ok cool, ill keep it oldskool ATM, if that doesnt work ill try the prog you linked me too... Im not to experienced on intalling more than 1 OS as all i ve done is intall 98 back in DOS days and Xp singularly on a drive.

Back