2 node Vsan 6.1 cluster - Anyone have this running?

sixpac

Limp Gawd
Just setting up a new 2 node Vsphere cluster and wondering if anyone has setup a 2 node Vsan 6.1 using the stretched mode ?

If so, wondering what drive configuration you used, if you'd do it again and how it performs.

I have the licensing through Vmug., Was hoping to have around 2-4 TB per node of storage available. Right now I only have 1Gb networking.. 10Gbe coming when I can afford it.

thanks

I haven't looked much into it, but it looks like for 2 node VSAN you still need to have another site with a "witness VM" to act as the VSAN witness.

we run a few of those for a smaller customers

no issues so far

i'd suggest to take a look at starwinds vsan as they don't ask for third witness node and can do pure two-node configs

StarWind Software – StarWind Virtual SAN® – Starwindsoftware.com

they also support cheap 10 gbe switchless setup while vmware needs switches for multicast / broadcast vsan messaging

Just setting up a new 2 node Vsphere cluster and wondering if anyone has setup a 2 node Vsan 6.1 using the stretched mode ?

If so, wondering what drive configuration you used, if you'd do it again and how it performs.

I have the licensing through Vmug., Was hoping to have around 2-4 TB per node of storage available. Right now I only have 1Gb networking.. 10Gbe coming when I can afford it.

thanks

VMware vSAN is a very good solution in terms of management and implementation although, Jaymzkerten is right, it does require 3d node to act as a witness, just like hp vsa does.
As Olga-SAN mentioned, StarWind should fit your needs perfectly also, they have awesome support that can help you setting this up with their solution.

Back