2 NIC's.. 2 seperate networks?

NerdzRule7

Limp Gawd
i'm trying to set this up.. but i havent been able to get it/figure out how it would be done in the first place. I have two gigabit cards in two different computers. They are secondary cards to standard 10/100 ethernet adapters. the 10/100's go to a regular switch, thats all fine and dandy so all my other computers on the network can see them. as for the gigabit adapters, i have a crossover cable between the two comps. i need to know if its possible to set things up, so that any data from one computer with a gigabit to the other with a gigabit goes through the gigabit directly. as of now, my computer sends through the 10/100 all the time regardless of what computer i'm sending data to. thanks -The_Nerd

if your 100 mbit network is using something like 192.168.1.*, i would use 172.16.1.* for the gigabit then access the computers from their ip instead of netbios name, like "\\172.16.1.2\folder" instead of "\\compname\folder". i've done this between my roomate's and my computers with firewire

go to the command promt, use the route command, it'd go a little somethin like this:

Code:
route -p ADD [ip of destination adapter] MASK [net mask] IF [interface number of the NIC]

so if I had 2 NICs, one in the 192.168 range, the other in another range and wanted to route requests to a certain group of IPs through one specific card I'd do something like this:

Code:
route -p ADD 192.168.0.* MASK 255.255.255.0 IF 2

or something like that.

You don't need a route. Both NICs are technically directly connected to each other. In other words traffic between the two do not use the gateway so routing is completely out of the picture.

You need to configure the computers to prefer the gigabit connection. I would try configuring a interface metric to prefer the gigabit NIC. The metric should be auto set to more prefered since it's a faster NIC but maybe the fact it's 10/100/1000 is throwing it off. Here's a link to explain interface metrics using the same situation you have.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299540

I would go ahead and hard set to metric just to be sire. To configure a interface metric in WinXP, go to the network properties of the <b>GIGABIT</b> and click on TCP/IP properties. Then click advanced button. Bottom of the screen is a interface metric check box, uncheck the automatic setting. Type in "5" in the box and hit OK/Apply.

P.S. Be sure you only specify a gateway address on the 10/100 nic and <b>NOT the gigabit nic</b>! Otherwise it will not work.

that networking metrics stuff looks like it should work. the only doubt i have about it, is that the windows article says that windows automatically assigns a lower metric to the higher nic.. but perhaps it didnt. i'll be trying the routing if the metrics doesnt work, but i really dont feel like just navgating by the ip adress each time i want to acess my other computers.. i'm a regular lazy american :p i'm at school right now, but i'll be trying all that out when i get home today.. in the meantime.. does anyone else have a different way of doing it?thanks-The_Nerd

i have a the same setup between my workstation and server @ home.
10/100 NIC's are 10.10.10.*
and the GigE is 10.0.0.* w/o a gateway

I added my server's 10.0.0.* IP address to my hosts file and set the interface metric.

Also, *reputable* GigE does not require cross-over cables, it will autodetect.

i tried the network metrics.. it uses the gigabit connection for the transfers i want, only now it wont use my 10/100 to see the rest of the netowork.. i think its just gonna take some fiddling around though.. thanks for your help guys-The_nerd

VARIATION on using IP address: if you are using XP or 2k simply set the shortcuts in the my network places to use the ip of the system through the ip address, that'll work if use thoes short cuts. Man I think 98 or NT 4 would be better at this, I seem to remeber the ability to set the prefered connection or or order in which they were used bah... I'll think of something else.

Back