2 networks, one box

jay2472000

Gawd
Ok so me and my neighbor are trying to come up with a way we can "share" a seedbox. I have the crappy cable internet ( but with 3 kids, Im always broke) and he has pretty good DSL (thats truly unlimited, unlike my cable) What we would like to do is have one box both networks can use, sort of a shared folder. The deal is, if I admin the box. His IP ranges are in the 192.168.1.1 range and so are mine. So basically, what I am trying to do is have a box on both networks, BUT all downloading has to done off one network.

I was playing with this before, using a wired 10.0.0.XX and a wireless 192.168.1.XXX address and if I remember correctly if I manually set the 10.0.0.XX address to use 192.168.1.1 as the default gateway it wrkd. ( and I may very well be remembering wrong as I only did it once and it was a long time ago.)

I believe the issue is that were both using the 192.168.1.XXXX range where BOTH of our gateways are at 192.168.1.1. So for this to work Ill have to go to the 10.0.0.XX range or some other, correct?

Any and all help is appreciated.

EDIT : TLDR version. One pc, two networks, how do I make sure all internet activity is done off of one NIC?

Why not just add the 2nd network to your existing card? I do it all the time... You'll need to be on 2 IP networks but on your box set your main static ip to say

(those are google's dns)

then click on the advanced option on that ip setup page and click ADD to add a 2nd IP. Add say 10.10.10.15 and 255.255.255.0 or what not

Now you'll be able to see the 192.168.1.1 for your internet gatgeway and you'll be able to access anything on the 10.xxx network for file sharing, etc..

Not entirely sure what your purpose is, but thats what we do.... i do this at a client where

Site A - T1 - No Internet
Site B - T1 + DSL (for internet)

The main IP is setup at Site B for the DSL and we added the 2nd IP in for the T1, so that Site A and Site B can talk to each other (its an MPLS thingy setup).

Works good, we can access Site A from Site B and get on the internet at Site B where internet comes in (they dont want site A having internet, but want it to be able to access the files on Site B's computer. im sure we COULD get internet if we had to, but we never bothered, no need)

I believe the issue is that were both using the 192.168.1.XXXX range where BOTH of our gateways are at 192.168.1.1. So for this to work Ill have to go to the 10.0.0.XX range or some other, correct?

You're correct, you can't route across his network if they're both the same subnet unless you do some NAT, but it's simplest to just re-ip your network. However, you cannot assign an interface's gateway to be on a different network (like you thought you may have done above). Once the two networks are on different subnets, just assign a default gateway on the interface that faces his network, and leave your gateway blank.

Back