2 networks kinda together? but not?

Greatone123

[H]ard|Gawd
I know the physical side of networking... switches cables blah blah blah...

I just wanna know if it's possible...

I want 2 separate networks "kinda"

and

my router will be a PC with Untangle installed.

I don't want PCs on each network to see each other at all, basically like they don't know each other exists.

my catch is tho... I would like to have a single WHS that see's both sides.

2 NICs? 192.168.1.200/192.168.2.200? be able to back-up systems on both sides? have shared folders with permissions for each side?

192.168.1.1 side will have my personal PCs and Systems

192.168.2.1 side will have publicly accessed stuff and a couple older systems I have for guests coming over or whatever + wireless

ya if I can get the system on 2 networks, the permissions thing is just based on user/pass which I can set myself

VLANs, my friend. Set it up so that each computer is in its own VLAN, but the WHS is in both. Quite easy to do with Untangle, I believe.

VLANs, my friend. Set it up so that each computer is in its own VLAN, but the WHS is in both. Quite easy to do with Untangle, I believe.

vlans would require switches supporting that option, and unless you have a NIC driver that can handle vlan tagging it would require 2 interfaces attached to the network, one for each vlan.

vlans would require switches supporting that option, and unless you have a NIC driver that can handle vlan tagging it would require 2 interfaces attached to the network, one for each vlan.

Damnit you're right. I'm losing my edge!

You could also use subnets instead, since this is what you want to do with the IPs anyways. Put the WHS box on the "public" network and set up routing rules to allow the "private" network PCs to see it. I don't know HOW to do this, but I know it can be done.

also remember that WHS has a 10 system limit so no matter how many subnets you have setup a whs will still only backup 10 computers

ya i only have like 4 or 5 systems to back up others i won't care. what was their reasoning on 10?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

ya i only have like 4 or 5 systems to back up others i won't care. what was their reasoning on 10?

If you want more, spend $1999 on their real Server OS :rolleyes:

EDIT: That was a dig at Microsoft, not at you!

I have two routers than can both access my server.

Linksys router is 192.168.0.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0.
FIOS router is 192.168.1.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0.

I have a Windows Server 2003 that is connected to my Linksys router. The server acts as the DHCP and DNS. Any computers connected to my Linksys receive an IP address of 192.168.0.10x.

My FIOS router is plugged into the Linksys and is receiving an IP address of 192.168.0.107. However, I left DHCP turned on for the FIOS router and any computers connected to the FIOS router receive an IP address of 192.168.1.10x.

So, the computers connected to different routers cannot access each other, but everything is able to access the server. Of course they are all on the same domain as well.

Not sure if that helps, but that is how mine is setup and it gets the job done. I only did it to keep my FIOS features working and ended up needing a couple of extra ports. Since everything can access the server, I didn't really care about much else.

ya thats basically how i want it the server to be the only ccommon ground

Back