2 monitors displays issue. Turn them off at night and everything on second monitor moves to main.

squad

Gawd
Well, I've recently bought a 2 titan x's for extremely cheap. I recently had a 690 gtx and used dvi cable. Now I use display ports on my titan x's since I heard its better but its been pain in my butt but don't know if that's the issue. I usually leave my computer on over night and with my old card I turn both of my display's off and my secondary (right side) has all my stuff open aka apps etc. and when I turn it back on it stays right where I left them. Now with the new cards when I turn them off and turn it back on, everything moves to the main monitor (left side).

I really need help fixing this, this is a pain in the butt.

Thank you!

I am having a similar issue unfortunately. I have 3 monitors hooked to my 1st 980ti one is hooked up by DisplayPort adapter with a hdmi cable. I can turn off my main or secondary monitor and everything is fine, but when i turn off my 3rd monitor the one thats running thru displayport and it acts as if I am physically unplugging the monitor. My screens go black and everything is moved to the other monitors.

I'm guessing its something to do with NV drivers. They are not nearly as smooth as Amd's. I am referring to running 2+ monitors, in order to run 3 monitors they all have to be hooked up to the same card, well that is if you don't want to enable surround. I don't because my monitors are all different sizes, 42", 27" and 24". I usually play games on my 27 and 42, only one at a time. I never had a problem with setting up 3 monitors when i was using my 7970s. Its not really a big deal just a tad annoying. Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

I was thinking about it and it may have something to do with display port. I changed the display port around to my main monitor, because I never turn it off, and when i turned off the 3rd monitor it didn't give me any issue. Its running on a DVI-D port now with a Dvi-D cable. Thanks

-Stay [H]

I've noticed that with DP, when you turn them off, they disconnect from the PC, like you unplugged the cable.
I used to just put my monitors to sleep so that they don't re-arrange everything.

Try this, turn off your main display and I bet the secondary screen becomes the main one.

Happens to me with a mini display port to display port cable from a R9 280X, so not just an nVidia issue. Really annoying.

Last edited:
It's just how the DisplayPort standard works. No way around this, short of conversion to another standard (DVI is probably your best bet). I'd imagine using powered display port to DVI-D adapters and keeping them powered at all times would eliminate the unwanted re-arranging. No guarantee even then though -- depends if the adapter actively senses if the display connected to it is turned on.

Last edited:
Back