2 mobo failures - same OS image

venm11

2[H]4U
I have a couple of old laptops (all hp nc6230s w/XP) that I still use. One of them I use for personal business (eg. online financial stuff), and that one developed a pattern of overheating the south bridge, leading to its demise. I swapped the hard drive to another nc6230, and in short order it's south bridge began to overheat as well, and now that one is dead (as well). That 2nd computer had zero problems up till now.

So I'm posting in OS because I'm wondering if there's anything in the drivers could have caused this failure. I've seen before how driver updates can fix overheating problems (differences in thermal management?). What could have gone wrong? What could have happened to the OS in the original setup to cause this?

Temperatures were examined with speedfan (exceeding 90c) and my finger (really HOT). 90c is bizarrely hot - something should have shut down before then.

I might also attempt a reflow - I donno if anyone has any thoughts on whether that's likely to work.

Bad thermal design and poor cooling moslty. Did you ever clean it and reapply thermal paste?

You could try installing the latest Intel chipset INF's to see if it enables or pulls down a newer driver. If you've already installed that and it still causes problems, try running a clean install without putting in the INF, which will force Windows to use the built in driver.

But yes, bad drivers can cause devices to overheat. Talk to Nvidia about that. ;)

Back