<2 mb/sec transfer rate on external usb HDD

dragnandy

Limp Gawd
I tried transfering a ~5gb folder from my pc to external Hitachi HDD through a usb, but the transfer rates are rediculously slow i think it just hangs half way. In the beginning it goes at around 25mb/sec, but then gradually gets slower and slower.

Am i missing something here? Usually usb transfer rates aren't that bad. I just dont understand why the rate decreases like that. It makes it nearly impossible for me to transfer large files on my external, which is what an external is meant for.

Any help would be great! thanks.

dont have a ready answer as to why it would do it, or how to fix it outright out side of trying different drivers, how ever. having run into this in the past and having no choice as i was facing a full format and needed to back up asap i turned to winrar, download/install winrar. right click on the file/folder>add to archive>format=rar> compression method=store> split volume (i'de go with 700mb)>put recovery record (checked)>hit ok

copy the files 1 at a time

It makes it nearly impossible for me to transfer large files on my external, which is what an external is meant for.

Any help would be great! thanks.

Are you transferring large files (100MB+) or thousands of small files?

its alittle bit of both. Some are as large as 5gb, and some are small files.

I guess i can transfer in pieces, but is there a way to fix the problem of slow transfer rate after a certain time? Because about after 5min. of transfering files, the speed will drop <10mb/sec.

You are running Windows?
Are you using any apps like TeraCopy or SyncToy?

HDTune of the external?

it could be bad sectors on a HD and as its trying to read from or write to, its slowing down... or it could be a buffer issue..shitty drivers... or even as bad as a virus trying to interfere..., the disk your trying to copy to could be more than 80% full and fragmented, and its having a hard time finding space...

there are many reasons

Back