2 Locations w/10mb & 1.5MB internet how to share data?

hevnbnd

Limp Gawd
Ok, I am buying a vacation home and it only has a max of 1.5MB internet connection. At my house I have a 10MB cable internet connection with my WHS that has over 8tbs of movies. Anyone have any suggestions on how to access these videos from both locations? I don't mind building more pc's if necessary/. I just cant seem to wrap my head around a good way to access the data from both locations. Thanks for any input.

I going to assume that you really mean 1.5 Mbit as opposed to 1.5MByte. Streaming movies on a connection that slow is more or less not possible. Even if you were able to get faster internet there I dont think your home package will have enough upload speed to serve a movie. What we do for our cottage is I have my main fileserver at home and then I just fill up a 2TB external and bring a laptop which will hook up to anything.

If you want access to smaller files or what not you could just set up a simple FTP server on the WHS. Or I think i may have read somewhere about a built in web based access feature for WHS.

Umm, a random idea. Maybe have duplicate archives of your movies. Say transfer the 8TB sneakernet fashion, but after that use sychronization software to keep each archive updated. For example, you rip a new movie to your server at home. Who cares if it takes day or so to transfer to your vacation home if you aren't there. I say this because likely streaming will not be possible and you said you would be fine building new computers.

An rsync system would be interesting, but adding more movies may bring both networks to a crawl during the sync. Prehaps you could just set up a timer at night to only sync when no one is on, or maybe just look into a streaming solution.

How many GBs of files do you add at a time?

DFS works wonderful for situations like this. Also, you could use some utility like syncback.

However, if these are 15GB MKV files then you still may have issues. Assuming that your 10Mb cable line has a 1.5Mb upload then transferring a 15GB file will take around 22 hours. It will be up to you if that time and/or performance decrease while the transfer is progressing is acceptable.

Your best bet may be to do like the other guys said and do the initial sync at home, take it off site, and then use a 2TB external HD whenever you go to keep it up to date.

It wouldn't be as bad if they were small files and didn't change much. But, you rip two movies and that could easily be 30GB of data that starts to replicate to the other side.

Riley

Thanks for all the input. Most of the files I rip are 5gb max. I think what I want to do is have a folder where if anything is put there it will move the data to the vacation home during off peak times. I don't really need my entire collection at my vacation home and this way I could just stick in a couple of movies a week or so before I go and then they would be on my computer at my vacation home. What would be the best method to implement this?

Back