2 Linksys Routers 1 into the other

So, recently moved in with a friend of mine, both of us have Routers, mines wireless, his is a hardware firewall, so we would LIKE to run the cable into his router, and then into mine( I use the wireless quite a bit otherwise I wouldn't care)

When I try this however, the computers plugged into the hardware firewall can see the internet, but the computers plugged in(wirelessly or via ethernet) into the Wireless router don't see squat.

Know I missing something stupid, just having, well, an attack of stupid.

I think your router needs to be set to client mode if it is hooked to his. And make sure his is set as a dhcp server too so your getting an ip.

make sure that the LAN IP on your router is not on the same subnet as the LAN side of his firewall.

in other words, if his LAN interface uses IP's in the 192.168.1.x subnet, you should set your router's LAN subnet to something like 192.168.2.x or 10.x.x.x, and after that, it should work fine.

however, you will have problems doing any network browsing between your two computers if you are not both connected to the LAN interface of the same router/firewall.

you would basically want to have it set up something like this:

2routers.jpg

Whats the model # of your wireless router? unless you've already checked and thats how you arrived at this decision... your router is more than likely a hardware firewall also. It might save you some headache to just use the wireless in that case.

Just use your device as a switch/AP. Don't use the WAN port and disable DHCP on your router. Uplink a LAN port on the switch with a Cat5 run connected to whatever his router/firewall is. No need to worry about different IP ranges or your firewall etc.. Take those parameters out of the equation and just run the simplest setup, which is let his box/device do all the DHCP and NAT routing. Yours would simply be an AP and a multiport switch.

Well, there's actually 2 reasons we're doing it this way. First is I still want the firewall, and Second is I have 2 puters in my room, and 1(his) in the livingroom, plus the Xbox(for Live), in addition to my laptop which is about 50% of the time plugged in with a hardline for gaming(avoiding the annoying latency issue I always seem to have with wireless). As that's 5 puters total, and usually 3 are in my room, I wanted the second router to be in the room, such that I only need to run one cable to my room, and can run other cables from there.

THat said, so far, these will probably be just what I need. Now time to try them out.

Soooo, ok

Had it working for a sec, and since someone else in my apt building had already tried to login to my network wirelessly, I started setting up some security features. First I setup a WEP, and didn't right the key down(dumb #1) and second, thinking I was blocking only wireless MAC's, I blocked all by my laptop's Wireless card's MAC. . . . .(bigass dumb)

Basically, the only MAC that's not blocked(hardwired also) is the Wireless Card, and I don't have the WEP key to access the network. Dumb.

Anyone know a way of getting back into undo something very stupid like that?

Back