2 leaking caps, What should I do.

What should I do?

• Get 2 new caps and solder away?

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Tell her to get a cheap futureshop pc?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tell her to pick up a cheap cpu/ram/mobo kit?

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

jtg1993

Gawd
My auntie has a Medion Pc (p4 515, 2.93ghz, 533mhz fsb, 512mb ddr pc 3200, dl-dvd burner, seagate .7 80gb sata) and she got a virus so she took it to a local pc repair place. They opened it up and found 2 leaking caps and it has a virus, so they wanted $450 to to fix it, and instead of fixing it they recommended her to get a new one. So she ended up saying screw that, so she brought it to me to fix. So after opening it I found out its socket 775 so i looked around and i cant find any ddr1 motherboards that are socket 775.

So should I end up getting 2 new caps and fix it? Or tell her to get a new cheap pc at futureshop that is a amd athlon at 2.7ghz, 1gb ram, vista home basic, dl-dvd burner for $319 (cheapest one there)? Or tell her to get a $150 cpu, mobo, ram kit (A64 3800+, Asus M2N-MX SE Plus, 1GB DDR2 667)?

Thanks

EDIT: Or should she get a cheap 775 mobo and some ram?

I would just get a cheap motherboard and some cheap dd2. ddr2 comes extremely cheap lately.

I will look for caps, but if it doesnt work what would i do? Cpu/mobo/ram Upgrade Kit? New PC? Or New ddr2 board and some cheap ram?

If you can solder get the caps and replace them. Generaly though when I do it I replace all of the caps on the board or at least all of the brand/types of caps that failed(ie 2 caps failed but it has 4 of that kinda all 4 get replaced).

If that doesn't work get a cheap s775 board and some ddr2 memory as it is real cheap now. You should be able to get the board and ram for less then 100 bucks easy.

If you can solder get the caps and replace them. Generaly though when I do it I replace all of the caps on the board or at least all of the brand/types of caps that failed(ie 2 caps failed but it has 4 of that kinda all 4 get replaced).

If that doesn't work get a cheap s775 board and some ddr2 memory as it is real cheap now. You should be able to get the board and ram for less then 100 bucks easy.

I will look for a cheap board and ram. So I guess my auntie will have to spend more then she wanted.

EDIT: Found what ill get,
Asus P5GC-MX/1333
1.0GB DDR2 667Mhz
Will that board work with that relic of a cpu? And would I be able to overclock it easily?

That board, will not overclock. the 945 is a pretty mid/low end chipset. But it is compatible with the p4.

Back