2 lan adapters, one internet connection

hedron

Limp Gawd
I have two PCs. One Slackware Linux and one Win7. The Win7 has 2 network adapters. One connects to the internet and the other to my slackware box, which is used as a glorified external hard drive.

The problem is that I can only connect to the internet when I disable the network adapter that is connected to my Slackbox. I thought I had it solved when I made the internet adapter a "home network" in the "Network and Sharing Center", but not only do I get a very sluggish connection sometimes it drops off altogether.

I tried enabling internet connection sharing, but then the ethernet adapter connected to my slackware box can't indentify itself.

I tried menubar > advanced > advanced settings > setting my internet adapter at the top of the list, and I really thought that this was the solution until I put my computer to sleep and turned it on again and it was back to not working unless I disable the adapter connected to my slackbox.

How can I set which adapter to use for which service?

I have two PCs. One Slackware Linux and one Win7. The Win7 has 2 network adapters. One connects to the internet and the other to my slackware box, which is used as a glorified external hard drive.

The problem is that I can only connect to the internet when I disable the network adapter that is connected to my Slackbox. I thought I had it solved when I made the internet adapter a "home network" in the "Network and Sharing Center", but not only do I get a very sluggish connection sometimes it drops off altogether.

I tried enabling internet connection sharing, but then the ethernet adapter connected to my slackware box can't indentify itself.

I tried menubar > advanced > advanced settings > setting my internet adapter at the top of the list, and I really thought that this was the solution until I put my computer to sleep and turned it on again and it was back to not working unless I disable the adapter connected to my slackbox.

How can I set which adapter to use for which service?

why not just plug your slack ware unit into your router.... Or is your cable/dsl directly connected to your computer ?

I don't have a router and writing an iptables script is beyond my capabilities and I'm not buying a router.

I don't have a router and writing an iptables script is beyond my capabilities and I'm not buying a router.

It's like $15 for a cheap g router on sale at newegg and will solve lots of your problems.

Or you could put a second nic in the slackware box and use that as a router/external hard drive and hook your pc into it. Clearos is router distro that has nas support built in.

Use static ips on your slackware & win7 "network". use a different private subnet for your slackware & win7 "network" than you are assigned on the internet nic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network 192.68.100.1 + 192.168.100.2 for example. subnet mask is 255.255.255.0.

do not set a gateway on the nic that connects to your slackware box. your internet nic needs a gateway set. although i would assume dhcp is setting it up for you.

you won't get internet access on your slackware box using this method however.

Its 2011... there are still people that connect their pcs direct to modems without a router? A router does more then routes packets to specific clients, including firewall capabilities. As said previously, you are better off buying a cheap 15 dollar router.

Use static ips on your slackware & win7 "network". use a different private subnet for your slackware & win7 "network" than you are assigned on the internet nic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network 192.68.100.1 + 192.168.100.2 for example. subnet mask is 255.255.255.0.

do not set a gateway on the nic that connects to your slackware box. your internet nic needs a gateway set. although i would assume dhcp is setting it up for you.

you won't get internet access on your slackware box using this method however.

I don't need internet access on my slackbox. It doesn't even have a video card.

I was thinking that after I had posted it's probably due to the fact that I have the slackbox still configured as a dns server. I need to turn that functionality off and figure out a way to do it on windows and in the mean time make static ips.

Windows firewall is good enough for me. I haven't used a router since like 10 years ago and I have never been hacked. (knock on wood.) Who would hack me, anyway? They're going to get my extensive collection of video game wallpaper and ...uh... ???? profit?

And there is no such thing as a 15$ router. You people are making that up. I've looked into that and the cheapest is like 80$. Yes, I know about ebay and maybe I might find one for 60$ ...

Those routers are 100Mbps and are therefor useless. I didn't buy gigabit cards to travel on megabit speeds. Even gigabit routers are too slow for me.

Righto, running the hardware listed in your sigs you can saturate a gigabit ethernet connection....?. Seriously? Is this what i get for trying to help you? GTFO [H] and pull your head out your ass, son.

edit: sorry if that came off rude, but seriously, dude?

I say fuck him, we try to help him and he tells us what he is going to do, let him get hacked/spywared. if he thinks a router is just there for protect from hackers then he need more education than we are all willing to help him with.

HE bought 1gig nic's for his machine so he will get the best fastest internet didn't you know. LITTLE DOES HE KNOW plugging his computer into the modem puts his nic at 10/100 WOAH ..

Last edited:
Do you have a default gateway set for the NIC that connects to the slackware box? If so take it off and only leave the IP Address and Subnet Mask.

Another option is to get a gigabit switch and connect your computer and slackware box to it so transfers between the boxes are 1 gig. This won't affect your internet speeds as your modem is likely 100 mbps on the ports and your service is well below even that speed.

You don't need a router, just a switch.

I say fuck him, we try to help him and he tells us what he is going to do, let him get hacked/spywared. if he thinks a router is just there for protect from hackers then he need more education than we are all willing to help him with.

HE bought 1gig nic's for his machine so he will get the best fastest internet didn't you know. LITTLE DOES HE KNOW plugging his computer into the modem puts his nic at 10/100 WOAH ..

The whole "plugging into the modem puts the NIC at 10/100 is funny"... I have a Motorola SB6120 and it has a 1Gb port on it.

Course it doesn't help speedwise since I only get 30/6 (sold as 25/5) from Knology.

As for plugging eveything into a 100Mb router.. that is just sucky... yay for 15-20MB a second transfer in between machines.. when you can get 50-60MB transfers bewteen machines with super cheap 1Gb cards.

I would say.. setup the slackware box as the router.. just need one more card installed in it.

This reminds me of when my friend though whatever the NIC connected at was his speed.

So when he came to my house and saw 1000mbs on my cable modem he thought since his said 100mps that mine was 10 times faster.

:p

Oh well, I have been using a $10 wireless router for laptop/phone access and it does the same thing a $80 one would do, which is allow internet access with a WPA2 key on it.

No routers cheaper than $80, I lol'd.

The whole "plugging into the modem puts the NIC at 10/100 is funny"... I have a Motorola SB6120 and it has a 1Gb port on it.

Course it doesn't help speedwise since I only get 30/6 (sold as 25/5) from Knology.

As for plugging eveything into a 100Mb router.. that is just sucky... yay for 15-20MB a second transfer in between machines.. when you can get 50-60MB transfers bewteen machines with super cheap 1Gb cards.

I would say.. setup the slackware box as the router.. just need one more card installed in it.

Never seen one with a 1gig port yet, but now that you said they are then i guess they are out. Up here on shaw cable using the Motorola Cable modems its only 10/100.

Those routers are 100Mbps and are therefor useless. I didn't buy gigabit cards to travel on megabit speeds. Even gigabit routers are too slow for me.

You are using gigabit NICs, so how would a gigabit router be too slow for you? That makes zero sense.
I doubt your systems are saturating a single gigabit connection with the systems in your sig.

As for plugging eveything into a 100Mb router.. that is just sucky... yay for 15-20MB a second transfer in between machines..
No, 100Mbps has a top transfer rate of 12.5MB/s, or more realistically 10-11MB/s, not 15-20MB/s, just fyi.

And there is no such thing as a 15$ router. You people are making that up. I've looked into that and the cheapest is like 80$. Yes, I know about ebay and maybe I might find one for 60$ ...

We're talking US dollars. And yes there are a few $15 routers, very easy to find. I have a stack of old non-wireless, 802.11b and 802.11g routers just sitting here. I get them for a couple bucks at yard sales to give away. You pay shipping and I'll send you one. DD-WRT already installed (USA, of course).

And you can use the router for Internet access and make a static route to your Slackware box using the second LAN card. That way, only your internet connection is set to 100Mb.

We're talking US dollars. And yes there are a few $15 routers, very easy to find. I have a stack of old non-wireless, 802.11b and 802.11g routers just sitting here. I get them for a couple bucks at yard sales to give away. You pay shipping and I'll send you one. DD-WRT already installed (USA, of course).

And you can use the router for Internet access and make a static route to your Slackware box using the second LAN card. That way, only your internet connection is set to 100Mb.

i have a whole shit load of those blue wireless linksys routers under my bed i have 2 brand new ones a few dlink ones all sitting there collecting dust, some day ill tackle one of them and play with DD-wrt. ( is it hard to install ? )

Maybe for gigabit, but you never specified that. Why are you acting like such an asshole to people who are trying to help you?
Time to join the modern world and get a freaking router. There is seriously no reason not to have one this day and age.

Also, going to gigabit won't make your Internet connection be any faster, and your modem is most likely to have a 10/100 port anyway. Logic fail. :rolleyes:

Yeah, some of them do have gigabit ports, but there is little point as 100Base-TX full-duplex (which all routers/switches are) is 100/100 speeds, which will easily handle any ISP connection out there.

i have a whole shit load of those blue wireless linksys routers under my bed i have 2 brand new ones a few dlink ones all sitting there collecting dust, some day ill tackle one of them and play with DD-wrt. ( is it hard to install ? )

Depending on the router and the version, it can be as easy as flashing it using the standard router interface (Just browse and select the BIN file). Other times, you have to flash to a mini or custom version, then upgrade from there. Check the site for instructions for your router, but it is pretty easy. Fun to play with, too. I still haven't touched a lot of the settings, but I've done a lot with it.

oh yeah, the one that thinks that a router protects him from hackers right ?
Haha, yes, he has much to learn. :)
But since he's acting quite pompous, he can go learn somewhere else for all I care. :rolleyes:
I haven't used a router since like 10 years ago and I have never been hacked.
Fail.

Wow, I just went through hedron's past threads, this guy is a real winner.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1609113

-He won't spend $50-60 for a 1TB HDD, yet he bitches about not having enough space on his 150GB VRaptor.

-Then he decides to run Win7 with Super-fetch off, only runs a 512MB pagefile on a system with 4GB of RAM, and then he bitches about Win7 telling him he is out of memory.

Oh no, it gets better. :D

-He then goes on to say that 12" ASUS netbooks cannot use 4GB of RAM and that the BIOS are 'hacked' to look like it supports it. I find this to be a very amusing comment because I am currently running a 12" ASUS netbook which is using 4GB of RAM and can support and utilize up to 8GB. :rolleyes:

He makes waaay too many assumptions and treats them as fact.
Just take a look at his post list, the fun just keeps on going!

Last edited:
Wow, I just went through hedron's past threads, this guy is a real winner.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1609113

-He won't spend $50-60 for a 1TB HDD, yet he bitches about not having enough space on his 150GB VRaptor.

-Then he decides to run Win7 with Super-fetch off, only runs a 512MB pagefile on a system with 4GB of RAM, and then he bitches about Win7 telling him he is out of memory.

Oh no, it gets better. :D

-He then goes on to say that 12" ASUS netbooks cannot use 4GB of RAM and that the BIOS are 'hacked' to look like it supports it. I find this to be a very amusing comment because I am currently running a 12" ASUS netbook which is using 4GB or RAM and can support and utilize up to 8GB. :rolleyes:

He makes waaay too many assumptions and treats them as fact.
Just take a look at his post list, the fun just keeps on going!

what a douche, how the hell did e manage to get on this forum..

what a douche, how the hell did e manage to get on this forum..

Well apparently he's gotten his ass kicked off of other forums as well:
I've been banned from numerous forums and I no longer even bother to state my opinion on things because I *always* get in trouble. Simply for speaking my mind.
Big shocker. :D

Well looks like the douche hasn't posted in his thread should be deleted ?

Yes, it should be, or locked.
Considering he didn't have the decency to get back to anyone trying to help him here, I doubt he will get much more help on these forums if he keeps acting that way.

Yes, it should be, or locked.
Considering he didn't have the decency to get back to anyone trying to help him here, I doubt he will get much more help on these forums if he keeps acting that way.

i was reading some of his useless posts, reminds me of a guy that ripped me off in the states thinks he knows everything....

You people are making that up.
With this attitude hedron, you aren't going to be making any friends in this nic of the woods any time soon.
Be a little more appreciative of those trying to help you, and just as a helpful tip, stop acting like an asshole, you will get better results. ;)

Everybody [H] knows you should ditch those sissy Intel Desktop GbE cards and go for a direct ISA-ISA connection between computers. Micro-Channel Architecture if you have the balls for it.

Everybody [H] knows you should ditch those sissy Intel Desktop GbE cards and go for a direct ISA-ISA connection between computers. Micro-Channel Architecture if you have the balls for it.

I heard bnc is the new 10gbe..

Man, forget about transistors, tubes are the future! :D

I guess for some ISP that use GigE circuits on their own network that we need to tell them to upgrade because Hedron is going to use up all the bandwidth.

shit, now im going to have slow connections :(

Nah, Bro- just straighten your ethernet cables. Most people don't know this, but when you have curved or coiled cables, the electrons (which are just WHIPPING down the cable) get dizzy when they turn, leaving data jumbled and slow. Also, don't forget to degauss your lcd- the field builds-up and slows down your refresh.

Nah, Bro- just straighten your ethernet cables. Most people don't know this, but when you have curved or coiled cables, the electrons (which are just WHIPPING down the cable) get dizzy when they turn, leaving data jumbled and slow. Also, don't forget to degauss your lcd- the field builds-up and slows down your refresh.

alright, will do, i was also told that electrons run faster when they have to run down hill, so i have lifted all my ethernet cables so they are sloping downwards..

Back