2 internet connections, 1 network?

hey all,

in my home office, i current have a cable internet connection connected to a wireless router with 3 computers hook up wirelessly and they share a network drive on 1 of the pc's. now i want to get a dsl line so i will have two internet connections. i will have 2 pc's connected to that dsl line. now, how do i have all 5 computer connected to the same network and share the same network drive? do i have to have the new pc's connected via ethernet cable to the dsl and wirelessly connect to the other network? but then anything connecting to the original network will use the cable internet connection instead of the dsl.

???

thanks.

Why use 2 different connections? Anyway you have a few ways of doing this. Easy way would be to buy a router that has 2 wan ports and have it do the work. Depending on how you want to set it up something like a LINKSYS RV082 would prob do it for you. Another way is to use 2 routers. Put them in the same range but with different ip address. Turn DHCP off on one of them. Point the gateway for the machine you want to use for dsl to router number 2

Pretty much like this
Router A. 192.168.1.1 DHCP on with a range 192.168.1.50 through 192.168.1.254. Is hooked up to cable.

Router B 192.168.1.2 DHCP off hooked up and setup for DSL.

For the machines that you want to use DSL with go in and set the gateway to 192.168.1.2 instead of leaving it as dhcp which would point the gateway to router a.

This way all of the machines are on the same network yet connect to the internet different ways. You could also use vlans and other ways but that is prob the cheapest.

If you want to be fancy about it, take an old comp, put three nics in, and install pfSense on it. This way, you can do load balancing between the two WAN connections.

Back