2 installs of xp...and i wanna kill one

VulturEMaN

Gawd
aight...when i boot up my comp, it says i have 2 installs of xp pro on it. what happened was that it froze once when installing it and i went back and installed it again, thinking that it would just write over. idiot me.

ummm....how do i get rid of the shitty install? I just can't stand it cause it pauses during boot and asks which copy to run!!!!

edit your boot.ini file and remove the second XP option. Make sure you don't remove the option that you boot from. I don't think it would matter in this case but I say it just in case.

If it looks something like this

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

And both options under "[operating systems]" are identical you can delete either one. If not then delete the one that doesn't match the "default=" line.

You edit the boot.ini and manually delete the bad install folders.

(too slow here as well hahah)

Easiest way would be to edit the boot.ini file (usually found on C drive, root directory or right-click My Computer > properties > advanced > startup and recovery settings button > edit button) and remove the OS option that you don't want on there. Should be as simple as deleting the line. DO NOT DELETE THE WRONG LINE!

Then, if you have the bad copy of windows installed in another directory (i.e. you didn't install OVER the bad copy) you should be safe to delete that directory.

edit: too slow

AMD[H]unter said:
Yeah, after that, I hope his box doesn't boot.

He has not posted back yet.....maybe he had to check on his ho.....errr....hoe....as in garden hoe.

It's a vBull setting. I think it was set to space the character strings at a certain point. It had been turned off at one point in the past... not sure why it's back on. Either way, not a real big deal as long as you notice it.

lmao you guys...

I was just on a different forum and thats how we usually talk to each other on there. My sincere apologies if I offended you...

Naa, the box booted fine...but do you think it's aight to delete the extra Windows folder now?

VulturEMaN said:
lmao you guys...

I was just on a different forum and thats how we usually talk to each other on there. My sincere apologies if I offended you...

Naa, the box booted fine...but do you think it's aight to delete the extra Windows folder now?

As long as you delete the right one.

Back