• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2 HD's or 3?

mastrmndv2

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 11, 2006
Messages
83
Currently I am building a SFF pc and am in need of new HD's. Instead of going my normal route I decided to do something different. Normally I used one HD for OS and games and the other for Storage. However, I am flirting with the idea of getting 3 HD's this time around instead of 2. One for the OS, one for Games, and one for Storage. Obviously the storage would be around a 320gb or higher and the other 2 would be around 80 or 160gb's. The idea is that the games would be seperate from the OS and that on any reformats I would not have to reinstall my games as normally (HL2 and Steam updates along with others).

One of the potential problems I see with this is the fact that when the OS is wiped so is the registry and any portions of games with registry entries. Need some help and input here.
 
If you were that way inclinded you could export all the keys for the games from the registry. Why the hell anyone would want to do that thou I don't know.
 
Not much performance, if any, will be gained and with the extra power needed and heat of another hard drive, its just simpler to have two.
 
I have installed games on my storage drive for years.. Some survive a OS reinstall better than others. I would say that about 80% ish have worked without reinstalling the game and minimal futzing at most, 10% I was able to get working with more futzing or registry mucking, and the remaining 10% needing a reinstall.

But that is based on a feel for how it went.. I didn't actually track things scientifically.
 
Back
Top