2 Gb of sys. RAM locked up by video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
So, I just bought a new video card, it's the GTX 650 Ti Boost that c/w 2 GB of RAM, and it even uses some share RAM that I don't want it to

My sys. is Win 7 Pro, 32 bit. w/ the old video card, it reports, 16 GB installed, 3.51 GB available.

w/ this new video card, it reports 16 GB installed, 973 MB available.

1) Is this okay to you? Or is there some way to let windows 7 see my sys. RAM first before it sees the Video RAM in the video card?

2) At the very least, is there a way to disable that extra bit of share RAM using by this video card?

3) Even if it locks up my 2 GB of RAM, and it sucks up an extra 230 MB of Share RAM, shouldn't I still have 4096 -2230 = 1866 MB or so? How come it's only 973 MB?

P.S. The reason I use 16 Gb of RAM is because I have a 12 GB RAM drive.

There doesn't seems to be a memory remapping option on the BIOS

Last edited:
You need to upgrade to a 64 bit OS, a 32 bit OS is limited to about 3.5GB total system memory and gpu ram counts towards this.

You need to upgrade to a 64 bit OS, a 32 bit OS is limited to about 3.5GB total system memory and gpu ram counts towards this.

I am well aware of that. I'm happy w/ even 2 to 3 GB of Sys. RAM or so.

I have been using 3.5GB of available memory just fine. But as I say before, even if you account for the 2 GB the GPU is using, we are still missing 1 GB.

I do a resmos, it says

Hardware reserved 15412 MB
In Use 451 MB
Modified 30 MB
Standby 485 MB
Free 6 MB

What exactly is the hardware that reserved 15412 MB? is that sounds right to you? Or is there some setting in the BIOS that I can change it?

EDIT: I found this but don't know what the proper setting is

http://i4memory.com/f54/asus-x58-6-...g-detecting-less-memory-than-installed-19200/

Last edited:
What exactly is the hardware that reserved 15412 MB?

Mostly the GPU mem that is mapped into the 32 bit address space.

Edit: I missed a digit. This is 15.4GB

Last edited:
some right and wrong in this thread
1. youll need a 64bit OS to use more then 4GB of ram END OF STORY
2. GPU ram is not count in to that in the same way vurtral ram on disk isnt
the GPU ram is mapped via a hole normally 128 to 512MB wide
which is why you only have 3.5GB to use for every thing else *

*other stuff maps the same way

that 15000 some thing reserved is the OS telling you how much you have physicaly installed but can not use
looks like you have 18GB of ram installed or so total 3.5+15
tl;dr <6GB of ram is a major handicap get Win7 64bit

Last edited:
I hate to state the obvious... But you aren't going to receive a lot of sympathy from a hardware enthusiast forum when you are voluntarily using a 32-bit OS. That is volunteering to be obsolete and volunteering for the problems obsolescence inherits.

In my other system, it has 12 GB of RAM, and when I do a resource monitor, it says

H/w reserved 8721 MB,
in use 1925 MB
Standby 1507 MB
Free 123 MB

and that's exactly the way it should be, as I have a 8 GB RAM disk, so only 4 GB are in use, among them, 3.5GB available eventhough I have a GT 440 that uses 1024 MB of video RAM, and a shared sys memory of 1527 MB

so as you can see, it's not the video card, somehow, something is eating the hardware reserved on my new PC, and I haven't even install the RAM disk yet

I hate to state the obvious... But you aren't going to receive a lot of sympathy from a hardware enthusiast forum when you are voluntarily using a 32-bit OS. That is volunteering to be obsolete and volunteering for the problems obsolescence inherits.

I second that. I have gone 64 bit for 10 years now (windows about 8). There were some growing pains on Windows XP x64 but these days 64bit is as well (if not better) supported as 32 bit.

Last edited:
Your ram could have failed the memory test. I have seen reduced memory visible to windows and even linux from that.

Also you could boot off of a live cd/dvd/usb stick 64 bit linux os in less than 30 minutes and check to see how much memory is available there. Also swapping out the GPU may help debugging.

Last edited:
You have yet to tell us your specs and hardware. Make it impossible to help you.

This is a normal Happy Hopping thread. Give it a while and he will reach his own conclusion without any assistance.

64bit , 0 reason not to, time to move on! and that seven forums thread as said, could be bad ram stick or issues.

BTW, for bad ram try running memtest86+ for a day. Also tell us how much memory memtest86+ reports.

Hardware reserved 15412 MB
In Use 451 MB
Modified 30 MB
Standby 485 MB
Free 6 MB
I see ~3020MB addressable memory in a 32-bit OS. You're at the physical address limit. I see no problem here...other than the fact you're using a 32-bit OS.

This is a hardware allocation issue, that's my guess, 32 bit or 64 bit makes no difference
It very obviously makes a difference. You're at an address space wall with a 32-bit OS that you wouldn't be at with a 64-bit OS.

BTW, for bad ram try running memtest86+ for a day. Also tell us how much memory memtest86+ reports.
There's no indication whatsoever that his RAM is defective.

If its a machine with a 64 bit EFI (for example any Intel socket 1155 mobos) then running a 32bit OS will cause issues.

The sys. is

Asus Z9PE-D8 Ws motherboard
4 x 4GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3, 1600MHz RAM,
2 x Xeon 2.4GHz (since it's a 2.4GHz, it supports up to 1066MHz), socket 2011
Asus GTX 650 Ti Boost w/ 2 GB of Video DDR5 RAM
Win 7 Pro, 32 bit w/ SP1

I just removed 2 out of 4 Memory module
it says the same thing, 8 GB of RAM installed, 973 Meg. available

from the above link, that the other guy using a hp laptop having the same issue, this seems to be hardware related. That w/ only 8 GB install, the machine reserved 7 GB doing ???

And if I put back in the other 8 GB, it reserves 15 GB

The sys. is

Win 7 Pro, 32 bit w/ SP1

I just removed 2 out of 4 Memory module
it says the same thing, 8 GB of RAM installed, 973 Meg. available

from the above link, that the other guy using a hp laptop having the same issue, this seems to be hardware related. That w/ only 8 GB install, the machine reserved 7 GB doing ???

And if I put back in the other 8 GB, it reserves 15 GB

Your motherboard has a 64bit uEFI.

Make sure you are using a 64bit OS and the OS is set to UFI boot.

This guys is using a dual socket 2011 motherboard. Chances are, he doesn't even use all that power and the cores sit idle 99.99% of the time. Even more, if he does use that power, I'm pretty sure that whatever programs he runs are writing to swap 99.9% of the time. And if he comes back and says that he put his swap on his RAM disk, then I pray for the future of humanity.

This OP clearly has not done his due diligence.

Use a 64 bit OS. Read up on 32-bit vs 64-bit. Learn about hardware/memory addressing. Wikipedia is your friend.

The sys. is
Win 7 Pro, 32 bit w/ SP1

You installed a 32-bit OS on THAT? There's no way this thread is real. It can't be.

32bit OS on an X79 platform

epic_facepalm.jpg

face1292188682bywiltedr.png

TripleFacePalm.jpg

I have a no. of old programs that won't run on 64 bit. I'm not going to buy those software (Some can't be replaced), and I'm happy using them since 1995. I have been running 32 bit on Win 7 Pro since 2009 on a HP Z800 for 4+ yr. The only difference is, this Christmas, I bought myself all these new components and put together this new PC, as my old HP PC is too noisy, and I can't stand the humming noise anymore, so I get a new Phantom 820 from NZXT w/ those Noctua silent fans and those NZXT silent fans.

Last edited:
I have a no. of old programs that won't run on 64 bit. I'm not going to buy those software (Some can't be replaced), and I'm happy using them since 1995. I have been running 32 bit on Win 7 Pro since 2009 on a HP Z800 for 4+ yr. The only difference is, this Christmas, I bought myself all these new components and put together this new PC, as my old HP PC is too noisy, and I can't stand the humming noise anymore, so I get a new Phantom 820 from NZXT w/ those Noctua silent fans and those NZXT silent fans.

The simple fact is that your motherboard has a 64bit uEFI, it won't work well with a 32bit OS.

New hardware with dated OS limitations do not work well together. Have you even tried the software on Windows 7 64 bit?

all flaming aside, I think you are best off using multiple OS's or Virtual machines for what you want to accomplish. A lot of people use old WinXP software using VMs on badass new hardware without sacrificing ALL OF THEIR RAM TO A MATHEMATICAL LIMITATION.

I wish I had so much money and so little since to install a 32bit OS on a 2P 2011 system.

....looks like it needs more jam in the ram.
You'll a banana, a few feet of duct tape, a semi-feral red panda fed nothing but bath salts and maalox for a week, a bios update, a large plastic bag and a trampoline. I'm sure you know the procedure.

You'll a banana, a few feet of duct tape, a semi-feral red panda fed nothing but bath salts and maalox for a week, a bios update, a large plastic bag and a trampoline. I'm sure you know the procedure.

300ft of 3-phase camlok cable is generally recommended.

Ah, yes: I always get hung up at the part where I have to sing the french national anthem backwards: My mouse always scurries off to play chopsticks on the keyboard.

I'm pretty sure you can abridge the input for the backwards anthem, like with oldschool streetfighter arcade sticks, as long as the keyframe inputs are hit in order, the intermediary steps are irrelevant. I'll be performing the ceremony on my new DD frequently as I incrementally fill the dimm slots, so more experimentation will be possible.

As said

Install 64bit OS
Install vmware player and a 32bit OS
or use WinXP mode in windows 7 64bit

Done, ALL PROBLEMS SOLVED!

Alright, I think I found the problem:

http://www.asus.com/support/Search-Result-Detail/4D377B73-E0E3-400B-B95A-7B0197B0F1A5/?keyword=o

By enabling this, it should see above 4 GB

However, once I enable this, it seems Win 7 crash, and when I try to re-install, it won't see the mouse or keyboard (PS/2 or USB), until I found this:

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/26455-no-mouse-installation-screen.html

so now, to re-install win 7 pro, I have to disable this option again.

Now, let me disclose the other reason using win 7 pro, 32 bit. Win 7 pro, 32 bit only sees up to 4GB. So if I have 16 GB of RAM, I can use a 12 GB RAM Drive. And I don't have to worry about "RAM on RAM"

If I use Win 7 Pro, 64 bit, and have a RAM disk, that I could be dealing w/ "RAM on RAM". so I don't know how others get around w/ a RAM disk on a 64 bit win 7 OS., as I assume they have to deal w/ RAM on RAM

clearly you have ZERO idea what your talking about
ram disks work fine on 7 64bit
QzZnB4h.jpg

10GB ram disk is useless any way
you would need to put ton more ram in to really do any thing with it

WTF do you use it for any way just get an SSD they are cheap now
the ONLY thing a ram disk might be useful for is a photoshop scratch disk or for browser cache
and unless i was doing a shit ton of photoshop work id rather have more ram for stuff

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back