• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2 gaming laptops both shut down when gaming

jfreund

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Sep 3, 2006
Messages
2,020
I have an Asus G15 AMD Advantage (5980HX + 6800M), bought in 2023. I upgraded to an MSI Raider A18 (7945HX3D + 4080 laptop) bought at the end of 2024.

The A18 started shutting down while running games. No crash to desktop, no BSOD, just complete power down. It's happened in several games, but the most reliable way to cause the shutdown is to try and run Baldur's Gate 3. I'll start a new game, and if it gets through character creation it will shut down soon after.

I removed and reseated all replaceable parts (RAM, NVME, etc.). I replaced the TIM on the CPU and GPU. Still shuts down. I have 2 power adapters and it happens with both. I've tested in different rooms (different breakers). I use a laptop cooler under it.

I decided to fire up the old G15 and guess what? It shuts down when I try to play BG3. SAME shutdown. Updated Windows, drivers, and BIOS. Still shuts down.

What the actual fuck?

I have power from the city utility, could it be that shitty that it's failing the laptops? No other electronics in the house are showing issues.

Anybody have any idea what the hell could be happening?
 
Temp monitoring for both CPU and GPU to confirm they are not hitting way too hot too fast?

I have an Asus Zephry with a 3060 and an AMD 5800 something something and until i got a small stand to raise it off the surface it would throttle like mad with the CPU easily hitting 90C+ while gaming anything.
 
what aboot on battery?
Haven't tried on the G15, but I was able to play on the A18 on battery without a shutdown.

Edit: Tried battery on the G15 and it shut down before I got out of the first room in BG3.

Temp monitoring for both CPU and GPU to confirm they are not hitting way too hot too fast?

I have an Asus Zephry with a 3060 and an AMD 5800 something something and until i got a small stand to raise it off the surface it would throttle like mad with the CPU easily hitting 90C+ while gaming anything.
I use one of these to improve airflow.

I haven't seen the temps at the time of shutdown because, well, it shuts down.

I've run OCCT stress with every component selected and Furmark & Prime 95 simultaneously on the A18 for an hour+.

The Tmax of the CPU is 89C and under stress it reads 85-87.

The GPU hotspot temp will hit the max of 87C and stay there.

The only shutdown when stress testing was running Furmark alone, after about 1.5 hrs.

Haven't stress tested the G15 yet.
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
if they do it on battery, its not you places power.
try lowering your settings and capping fps.
 
Yep, it'll crash with the laptop cooler and without it, sitting on top of a PC case with the fans unobstructed.

I did try rolling back the Nvidia driver and it still crashed.

When it does shut down, 40-50% of the time, I'll lose Bluetooth when I restart and have a USB device "failed to reset" in Device Manager. Usually I can uninstall it, then have device manager scan for hardware changes and it comes back. I spent a couple days chasing that. Even with the wifi/BT card removed it will still shut down.
 
Using CapFrameX on the A18, in BG3 the GPU temp is in the 70s, and the CPU temp is 83-86.

Now that I have the Legion 7i that I posted in [H]ot|Deals, I found the "secret" advanced BIOS setting on the A18. Unfortunately the "AMD Overclocking" option doesn't do anything, so I can't undervolt.

Changing TDP and Tmax didn't make a difference, but I disabled SMT and was able to play for an hour and a half with no crash.
 
Back
Top