(2) Dell 2001FPs vs 23" HP vs (2)Viewsonic VP201Bs

sandman78

Gawd
This is my first post, and I need some HELP and/or OPINIONS. I was ready to order dual Dell 2001FP Monitors or dual VIEWSONIC VP201Bs (can't decide which), but I came here and saw the 23" HP 16ms thread. That monitor REALLY looked nice and my question is should I get dual 2001FPs, dual Viewsonic VP201Bs, or the HP 23" OR dual anything else? If you were to chose between the Dell 2001FPs and the Viewsonic VP201Bs, which would you pick? If there are any other monitors out there that you think would be better than dual 2001FPs, dual VP201Bs, or the HP 23", please let me know. My budget is $2500.00. Monitor(s) will be used for Photoshop, Web Design, and the occassional game. Please let me know what you think. I was planning on ordering this week.

Viewsonic 20" LCD 16ms http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-116-285&depa=0

Dell 2001FP http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=320-1578&c=us&l=en&cs=19&category_id=4009&page=external

PLEASE let me know what you think.

Thanks,
S@ndman

Get this for photoshop:

http://www.eizo.com/products/graphics/cg18/index.asp

Then get what you can with the rest. :p :D

Sorry I've been bad... I've been meening to try out PS processing and printing using my HP L2335, but have not yet done so. Pictures displayed on my HP are excellent for an LCD (IMO). But printing will be the true test.

The Eizo CG18 and CG21 are the only LCD's that I know of that can match CRT's. Only problem is, the CG18 costs as much as the HP I got. :eek:

Basically... my thinking was this... HP L2335 for games/browsing/movies/web work. Then, save up for, or wait till price came down for CG18/21 to really do some photoshop work. Best would be to get the CG21 and HP IMO, but then we're talking upwards of $4k IIRC.

LOL, I didn't realize who you were at first, so your post was strange. Then I realized you were the member who purhcased the 23" HP and it began to make sense.

When you say "get what you can with the rest," what do you mean?

Thanks

:D

Well, I meant that after spending $1700 on the CG18, you've only got $800 left of that $2500... so maybe the 2001FP works as the other monitor in this setup if you can get it at a discounted price (Dell still discounting to $750-800 these days?).

Dreaming of a CG21... for only $2800. :eek:

Where did you buy your HP:23" LCD? I see on pricewatch only two places have them.

Thanks

Got mine from page computer. They have it even though it doesn't show up in the search engines. One of the better prices out there too.

If I chose to go with a Dual Setup, I am going to buy 2 of the exact same monitor.

S@ndman

sandman78 said:
If I chose to go with a Dual Setup, I am going to buy 2 of the exact same monitor.

S@ndman

Is that really necessary? Up until recently, I never had matching monitors (I now use dual used 21" Viewsonics). Especially for Photoshop, you could have an awesome single, large monitor for your workspace and simply offload all your tool palets to a 17" or 19" if need be and still have excellent results and a large work area. Are you going to be spanning the images over both monitors?

Would anybody recommend going with dual 19" Samsung LCDs? I've been reading about the "Storm Door" effect on the Dell 2001FPs. And I have read nothing but good things about all the Samsungs. Just curious. Also, I know that the Viewsonic 201B uses the same lcd as the Dell, but does anyone know if it has the same "screen door" effect as the Dell 2001fp? I didn't know if they might have corrected it in their model or found a fix.

Thanks,
S@ndman

Viewsonic VP201 uses the same panel as the Dell's... But I wanna know too which panel to buy... I don't know if I want "Dell" on my monitor...

catalyst2211 said:
Viewsonic VP201 uses the same panel as the Dell's... But I wanna know too which panel to buy... I don't know if I want "Dell" on my monitor...

I want to know if the Viewsonic is better. But you never see anything about that monitor. Everyone is always talking about the Dell 2001fp. I don't know if that is because it is cheaper or what. I like the looks of the viewsonic, but I am still trying to find someone who owns the viewsonic to see how they like it. If you find out any info., PM me if you don't mind. Or just post it in here.

S@nDmAn

I would just buy 1 big 23in monitor. It's nice to have no breaks in your desktop. I currently have a Dell 2001FP and I would have bought the hp L2235 23in if I had the money. 1920x1200 is plenty good for 2D work. I only bought the Dell 2001FP because it cost me $700 otherwise I would have bought the hp in a heartbeat.

It seems like for your purposes you would be better off going with the 23" HP and avoiding the split screen. That way you would have one sweet, big monitor but could always add another later. Not to mention you would have some money left over.

Yes, but I want to know the answer to the question too! Not recommendations to buy the 23 incher... Which one is better or are they the same?

In terms of straight specs, they are both 16ms, which on the surface would say you wouldn't notice any difference. Several people have recently bought the HP and love it (there is a thread on it somewhere).

Many other people have the Dell and love it, but I have heard of a few problems with the Dell, like the screen door effect. But both monitors seem to get excellent reviews.

I would say get the HP though, if your system can handle the higher resolution. It's so sweet to watch widescreen movies on.

catalyst2211 said:
Yes, but I want to know the answer to the question too! Not recommendations to buy the 23 incher... Which one is better or are they the same?

LOL.... Evidentally no one has the Viewsonic. I have made up my mind NOT to get the HP. I have a 50+ inch SONY HD Bigscreen about 9 inches from the edge of my desk, so I can watch movies on that :D. Also, I'm almost 98% sure that I'm going to go with the Viewsonic monitor instead of the Dell. I'm going to see how I like it, and if everyything is ok I will order a second one. If you have found out anything since your last post, let me know. Thanks.

S@ndman

Please post a review of the viewsonic. I am on the fence on getting one of those as well.
I also saw on Newggs website a monitor called an Iiyama.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-172-057&depa=0
I have never heard of them before, but the specs are identical to the viewsonic. But it is only $899. I am looking at that one too, but cannot find any reviews.

I have also seen the dell go for less then $750 with shipping on Ebay.

Sandman, when are you getting your LCD monitor then? And if you do get the Viewsonic, post your opinion on the forum, ok? I'm gonna get a new LCD next month and can't really decide....

BTW, anyone knows when <16ms 20inch or so LCD screens are coming up?

that HP monitor is kick ass...i was looking at ordering one for 1610.00 + 20 shipping...wow...

i tend to love viewsonics as well...the VP201B is kick-ass @ 1000.00 + 20 shipping..

hmmm...which one?

cheers,

dave

catalyst2211 said:
Sandman, when are you getting your LCD monitor then? And if you do get the Viewsonic, post your opinion on the forum, ok? I'm gonna get a new LCD next month and can't really decide....

BTW, anyone knows when <16ms 20inch or so LCD screens are coming up?

I had everything in my "cart" on egghead today and then I backed out at the last minute because I wanted to make sure I was ordering the chip and atx case that I wanted. I will either put the order thru later tonight or tomorrow for sure. When the monitor gets here I will either post it in here or PM you. Of course I still won't have the dell to compare it to. But I will let you know how I like the Viewsonic in Games, Applications, etc...

S@nDmAn

Hmmm... Just post here and write a detailed review please. :)
About the 'screendoor' effect... Non-native resolution while playing games... Btw, are you a gamer...
Thanks a lot mate. ;)

Ok, I ordered all my stuff. (including the Viewsonic VP201B). I had everything shipped Next Day Air, so it should be here tomorrow. :D As far as me and gaming, I game about 1/4 of the time. The rest is Photoshop and Macromedia Studio MX. I live in those programs. I will try the usual games like: quake 3, ut2004, pain killer, rogue spear, and far cry. Are you in Australia? If you do order the Viewsonic, do you know where you are going to order it?

S@nDmAn

Asking a friend to buy from maybe newegg or monitorsdirect in the USA... Then ship it to Australia... Along with A64 3500, 939 NF3 250, X800XT next month. :cool:

I've got the tracking number for the order. Will be here for sure tomorrow. Well, since it's 1:24 a.m. I guess I should say it will be delivered for sure TODAY.:D

S@nDmAn

vp201b.jpg

:D It's HERE!!! I guess I'm gonna hook it up to my laptop or my docking station to test it out since my system is not built yet.. My laptop has a GeForce 4, so gaming won't be all that great. At least I will get to see if I have any dead pixels. I see that the monitor shipped out of NewEgg's Memphis facility. That's about 3 hours from here, so hopefully it didn't get banged around too much. Will post more later.
:eek:

S@nDmAn

while I love Newegg to death just because they've always treated me right, I dont think I'd ever order an LCD from them just because of their "8 dead pixels or more" return policy which would suck BIGTIME.

with my luck, I'd plunk 1500 bones on an LCD only to get one thats got 7 bad pixels and I'd be SOL...

nope, not me...

ozziegn said:
while I love Newegg to death just because they've always treated me right, I dont think I'd ever order an LCD from them just because of their "8 dead pixels or more" return policy which would suck BIGTIME.

with my luck, I'd plunk 1500 bones on an LCD only to get one thats got 7 bad pixels and I'd be SOL...

nope, not me...
I agree. I'd only order from Dell or Moniters Direct.

I ordered dual 17" dell LCDs from dell.com just because of there return policy. I ended up with two dell 17" lcds with NO dead pixels

All is well. No dead pixels and the monitor is awesome! I have to say tho, I'm glad I don't have any dead pixels, because I didn't see the newegg policy until I just read your posts. :eek: I am going to order another VP201B, and I definitely won't be getting it from Newegg.

BTW, RiDDLeRThC, I saw your dual dell setup along with a few others in the "Post your Workstation" thread and I immediately had to have dual monitors. This is all your fault!:D

S@nDmAn

lol i love my setup it always gets people... and just for fun maybe i can get a few more people to go dual.

That is a very nice dual setup. Shoulda gotten the Klipsch's though ;)

Are those monitors normally that high (neck looks a little long)?

How does this monitor handle resolution changes? Does it become blurrier and have sucky interpolation? I'm looking to replace my P90f with this one.

Gamepc has a review, i know... But I think they may be a little biased, since they sell the darned monitor themselves...

the stands go up and down i just have them that hight because it puts them at eye level with me. yes the speakers suck but i only paid $200 for them brand new so i'm not going to complain.

sandman78 said:
Would anybody recommend going with dual 19" Samsung LCDs? I've been reading about the "Storm Door" effect on the Dell 2001FPs. And I have read nothing but good things about all the Samsungs. Just curious. Also, I know that the Viewsonic 201B uses the same lcd as the Dell, but does anyone know if it has the same "screen door" effect as the Dell 2001fp? I didn't know if they might have corrected it in their model or found a fix.

Thanks,
S@ndman

I have seen that effect on every single 20" and larger panle I have ever seen. 1600x1200 just isn't dense enough to have a perfect image on an LCD panel that large. I have seen the Dell 2001FP, Samsung 213T and the Viewsonic VP201B, all had that problem. I should mention that it isn't really a problem, not for me at least, but it is there. It is something I never noticed on my 15" Dell laptop screen at 1600x1200. I would imagine that untill they start making panels that size at 2048x1536 that it will persist. As for the 19" panels, you will have the same trouble, they are oversized for the resolution, a 17" or 18" panel runs the same res, and is generally sharper and a few hundred dollars cheaper. Unless you have problems with your vision, 19"s just don't make sense.

Back