2 computers into 1 cable modem question

inbox899

n00b
I am currently building a new computer. If I want to both keep my old computer and my new computer online, what is the best way to accomplish that? Is there a splitter (router?) of some type that I can hook both computers to, and then hook the splitter up to the modem? Is there a performance or reliability hit if I do? Or do I need to somehow network them? Any help or advise is appreciated.

All you need is a router and you'll have both pc's networked,Nothing special needs to be done

all you need is a router.
Cable connects to modem. Then the ethernet cable instead of going to your computer. Goes to the router. Then an ethernet cable will go to each computer you want online.
accually wireless routers. which can be hard wired and also broadcast a wireless signal are far more popular among home users and there is many more to choose from.
Something like this would work fine for you

My old cable modem I could hook 1 computer up to usb and the other cat5 off the cable modem but the one im using now will only allow one at a time. I say try hooking it up that way if it works your good to go if not your just gonna need a simple router.

Thanks for the advice folks. But it seems like I might take a performance hit if I run through a router. Am I right on this? BTW - I'll look into plugging my old computer into the router by usb. Thanks for the tip.

There is no performance hit. You will get full bandwidth through any router. Routers are cheap, don't mess around with some backwards way of doing it.

Don't buy a switch, buy a router, there is a difference. The router lets you use the one public IP address your ISP gives you with multiple PC's. A switch won't do that, each PC will try to get it's own public IP from your cable modem if you use only a switch. Plus the router will give you a hardware firewall via it's NAT function, a switch won't. Any router that has more than one LAN port has a switch buit into it. Its two devices in one, a router and a switch.

If both computers will always be on at the same time, you could consider internet sharing. Windows will permit this. The machine connected to the modem is set to enable internet sharing. The second computer is connected to the first with an Ethernet crossover cable.

A router is a better idea but a crossover cable is cheaper.

What about when the first computer with ICS turned on is off?

It doesn't work - that's why I said: "If both computers will always be on at the same time,..."

If one is used infrequently and one is almost always on, enable ICS on the latter.

This is one reason that a router is a better idea.

Can I ask why most of you are over-complicating things? Yes, this is my first post, and I've been lurking here a while, but I had to step in and say something in this thread because this is just stupid.

OP - All you need is a router. Plug an ethernet cable from each device you want to connect to the internet to the router. Simple. Job done. If you have cable though, make sure to get a cable router, and not an ADSL router.

Can I ask why most of you are over-complicating things? Yes, this is my first post, and I've been lurking here a while, but I had to step in and say something in this thread because this is just stupid.

OP - All you need is a router. Plug an ethernet cable from each device you want to connect to the internet to the router. Simple. Job done. If you have cable though, make sure to get a cable router, and not an ADSL router.

As far as I know there is no such thing as a Cable router or an ADSL router. Any router will work with a Cable modem or an ADSLmodem.

As far as I know there is no such thing as a Cable router or an ADSL router. Any router will work with a Cable modem or an ADSLmodem.

Wrong. ADSL routers have ADSL modems built in. Cable routers are just simply routers.

Wrong. Some ADSL MODEMS have a router built into them, but not all. My Fathers DSL MODEM doesn't so he uses a router to connect the two PC's in his house. Please don't take offense I'm not meaning to flame you or anyone else, but I believe the correct terminology is Cable Modem not Cable Router and ADSL Modem not ADSL Router. I have a Cable modem which feeds my router which feeds my 2 PC's. Both routers are off the shelf items and will work on either setup. His is Linksys and mine is a D-Link. We could trade routers and they would both work as advertised. :)

Wrong. ADSL routers have ADSL modems built in. Cable routers are just simply routers.

it all depends on the equipment the ISP gives you... if they give you a modem/router (ADSL OR Cable), all you would really need is a switch, but most people like the flexibility of reconfiguring thier ISP provided modem/router to a simple bridge or passthrough to allow the use of a consumer router...

it just happens to be that some DSL providers like to give you a modem/router instead of just a modem like many cable companies do... it really has nothing to do with the technology

either way...

step1: buy a router....
step2: google your modem, see if it is a modem/router...
step3: if it is just a modem, plug the router in the way they show you to in the directions in the box with the router

otherwise

step3: if it is a modem/router, figure out how to switch it over to bridge mode so you don't double nat (trust us, you don't want this)

if you need help, we're here

Wrong. Some ADSL MODEMS have a router built into them, but not all. My Fathers DSL MODEM doesn't so he uses a router to connect the two PC's in his house. Please don't take offense I'm not meaning to flame you or anyone else, but I believe the correct terminology is Cable Modem not Cable Router and ADSL Modem not ADSL Router. I have a Cable modem which feeds my router which feeds my 2 PC's. Both routers are off the shelf items and will work on either setup. His is Linksys and mine is a D-Link. We could trade routers and they would both work as advertised. :)

Im not talking about the correct terminolagy, the purpose of this thread is to help the op, the op asked if he would need a router or adsl router.

with certian isp's, you need a router with a modem built in, becuase of the way the authorization is setup, if i was to give my father a adsl modem and a router seperate, it would not work.

Why do you think on websites they advertise routers as cable routers, or adsl routers? becuase the adsl routers have modems built in. I dont know anyone who is using adsl, that doesnt have their modem built into the router.

In simple terms,
  • a adsl router is a router with a modem built in and has a rj11 port for WAN.
  • A cable router is a router that has a ethernet port for the WAN.

Actually the op asked how to connect his two PC's to the Internet at once. As the title says "2 computers into 1 cable modem question". I don't see any mention of DSL. :p

As far as authorization goes if you are talking about PPoE, routers can do that in there setup. If your ISP tracks your MAC address for authorization you just call them and have them read in the MAC for the new device. My ISP did that for a while and my router wouldn't work because they were locked to the MAC of the NIC in my PC. They have since stopped doing that thank god.

An as you call it cable router (cable modem with a router built in) wouldn't have a rj45 Ethernet jack it would have a connector for coaxial cable. A simple router has a rj45 WAN connector and one or more rj45 LAN connectors depending on whether it has a switch built in or not. :)

I think goodcooper's answer says it best.

Wow, the misinformation in here is insane.

OP- get a router. You don't need any special type. It doesn't need to say "Cable" on it. It frankly doesn't give a damn what it's attached to, it's just passing ethernet. Any 40 dollar "it was on sale" box will work just fine. Yes, some are better then others but it sounds like your needs are pretty basic.

Here are 2 cheap ones that will work great for you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16833124010 45 shipped

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16833122016 40 shipped.

There are many others in the price range. Even if you don't "need" wireless right now get it anyway. It's the same price, you have a bigger selection and you can always use it later. If you are worried about security just disable the wireless radio and it will be no different then a wired router.

Back